Twin Reverb review by Fender

Fender: Twin Reverb

The Twin is easily one of the cleanest sounding amps any guitar player will ever play. While the volume is loud, that's not what's most important. The tone of the amp is gorgeous and since it is only a clean amp, adding pedals to the mix makes that tone breathe. Depending on what kind of guitar you're using (strat for me) there's never been a problem with buzzing or any other issue. It plays wonderfully in all environments and is quite versatile concerning what style of music you like to play. However, it does not suit all styles.

Overall, the Twin Reverb is a fine piece of equipment from Fender, but there is one issue that anyone must think about before purchasing. When I bought this amp back in 2006, I was really into classic and alternative rock, which was perfect. However, being a normal person, I have changed my playing style in the complete opposite direction. I am a doom metal fanatic now, and the Twin IS NOT suitable for any form of metal. It really is a drag, because I dropped so much for this. But I simply cannot deny how beautiful this amp sounds and how powerful it is. If it did get stolen, I must admit I would invest in a different tube amp, but if you love anything but metal, you just can't go wrong here.

This thing is a beast, for sure. It feels like it weighs a ton, which can be annoying at times, but it's definitely durable and reliable. Never has the amp broken down on me, and I changed the tubes only because of personal preference. Really the tubes inside were already great. I have a backup, but I don't think I'd ever need it if I gigged with the twin.

The Twin reverb, while pricey, is surprisingly not too complex. The amp consists of only two seperate channels, both of which are clean. One channel is "normal" containing two input jacks and volume, treble, middle, and bass knobs. The other is the "vibrato" channel, where the real meat of the amp is. Here you have your reverb settings, along with tremelo speed and intensity. If you use the foot Switch that comes with the amp, there's really no need to use the "normal" channel on the amp, as with the Switch you can manipulate reverb. And even though it's only packing two 12 inch speakers, this amp has ear splitting volume, especially if the tubes are changed to your liking.

shoule79
    Best clean tone ever, but my god are they loud. I've been looking for a Deluxe or Vox AC30 for awhile because you just can't crank this thing, but its hard to give up that sound. Mine's a 67 with the Blackface circuit, paid $1000 a few years ago. If you want a good, cheap point to point amp look for a 70's Silverface one. Still sound pretty good, and easy to mod.
    TannerRitter
    I just picked on up, a vintage 1970's model twin reverb and it was 650 bucks. And it sounds like pure sex with my Les Paul running through it. They sound particulary amazing with some JBLs or eminence model speakers. The tone is so clean but has amazing capabilities with pedals. Not to mention durability. Their made So well, especially vintage bc everythings point to point instead of printed circuit.
    Papabear505
    Ok kids, let me write a review for you I own a 1974 Twin Reverb that was purchased brand new by my Grandfather. He played guitar, Fiddle, and sang through this amp for 15 years before he retired from music. Before Granddad passed in 2001 He gave it to my Dad, who doesnt play anymore, so it spent a few years in a closet with the original cover on it before it traveled on the floor of a motor home from California to Georgia in 2005 when my Dad brought it to me. Ive been a professional Musician off and on since I was 16, and lets just say that thats been a long time ago. Ive been on the road, Ive played sit downs, one nighters and just about every style of music you can imagine except Punk(just dont get it.. eh). This Twin is the second that Ive had in my career, being that the first one was stolen in the 80s, but I digress. Fact of the matter is that Ive played through Peaveys, Marshalls, Crates and a few off brands that I picked up here and there, but they always fell short. I got Grand dads, 30+ year old Twin, took it to a reputable tech to have the tubes and capacitors replaced and generally gone through, and If somebody gave me the choice of losing a leg or getting rid of my twin, Id hop around on stage just happy as can be, as long as I still have my twin. Yep, there are 2 channels, both clean, one reverb and one without. The 74 has a master volume knob with a push pull function for overdrive. Not distortion, but a Nice/Nasty crunch effect to it. Crank the volume on either channel, and put the master at around 2 and you get a nice buttersmooth crunch to it, pull on the knob and it gets pretty nasty, but its still just the preamp, overdriving the tubes Youll need a box to get distortion out of it for metal or hard Modern rock. BUT, if you want smooth blues tones or some classic rock (60s is classic for this old guy) this is the amp for you. My personal settings with a Les Paul are on the Reverb channel, Volume at 5 or 6, set the tones (treb, Mid, Bass) at 5, then tweaked to my preference which is likely to change depending on what the room sounds like. Reverb is set at 4, give or take a little, then use the Master volume for how loud you want it to be. Usually its about 4 , or Im blowing myself off stage, and the sound guys complaining about bleed through on my vocal mic. I set my twin on a 2-12 cabinet, to give an added fullness. The twin might not be the best at one thing or another, but for an all around great amplifier that truly amplifies a guitars sound, Ill take a Twin over anything.