Vibro Champ XD review by Fender

Fender: Vibro Champ XD

Purchased from: Discount Music Center

I use a les paul and a strat most of the time, but I use the strat much more. I usually stay on or near the bridge pickup with distortion and when I want it clean, I use the neck pickup. Again, I play blues so I use the hot rod most of the time. Being a tube amp, it gets a great sound out. All I would ask for is heavier distortion on the hot rod setting. For clean I use the setting that models the Fender Jazz King. There's other clean channels like tweed but that's too much twang for me. I love the effect for the classic Fender spring reverb on a clean channel. It sounds just like the real deal. If it wasn't for the amps sound, I wouldn't have it.

This amp matches my style perfectly. I'd like a deville but this has that sound and many others that the deville doesn't, not to mention the effects. Compared my Line 6 spider III this amp is great! That digital stuff just doesn't sound as good as tube. My other amp is a Fender and the distortion channel is messed up, so the vibro Champ has a clear advantage. I've never had a tube amp before so I wouldn't have known what to ask before I bought it but I can't think of anything now. If it were stolen/lost(how do you lose an amp?) I would first find who stole it and smash the tubes in their face, then I would buy another one since I found one that's $100 less now. I still want a Hot Rod Deluxe or a deville though. I don't hate anything about this amp! I like the hot rod channels because I love those amps and I like that I have that sound and the many others with it in one amp. For the price it was a steal. The guy who sold it to us was trying to sell us a Vox modeling amp with a lot of effects but I'm not big on effects so I didn't fall into that. Nothing I wish it had that it doesn't already have. Overall, it's an awesome amp and my best so far.

I'm 13 and noone my age likes the blues(atleast locally that I know) so I'm not in a band and don't gig. I go to jams where they have amps that you use. I've only had the amp for a couple of weeks and it's my first tube, but so far nothing is wrong with it. It hasn't ever broken down or done anything like that, but again I've only had it for a couple of weeks so things might come up.

The Vibro Champ XD was made in 2007 I believe. The amp has many different sounds for all styles. Man, there are 16 channels! I play mostly blues and fenders are great amps for that, so an amp that models other Fender amps is perfect for me. Of course you can play other styles with the settings for metal, jazz, and even Acoustic. It isn't too versatile in the effects area, but atleast it has effects. The only part about the effects that's bad is that you can't make your own speed but it's otherwise good, considering I don't use effects that much. I use this amp at home. You have to crank it up all the way, so if you're planning on gigging with it, you'd have to mic it. There's no head phone jack but since it isn't that loud you might not need them.

lsexton101
    I just used this to play at my church. Unplugged the speaker, ran the Line out through the PA, jacked the amp up to 10 to get the tubes soaked.. BEAUTIFUL.. if your playing somewhere running through a pa this is awesome. Otherwise get an external cab and run this into those speakers and mic them. this amp ROCKS.
    BS87
    I play a wide variety of stuff. Would i be able to go from say Blink-182 sounding to more classic rock is with this? Can it do both the rock and the punk?
    cookiecala_03
    Well, with 16 channels that go from clean jazz to blues to rock of any type to metal, yes.
    andreasthn
    I bought this a week ago. Just came to the shop tried like 10 amps, and got so attached to this one that i had to buy it. I was there to get a new amp, but ive never even looked at this before but it just was so good. Amazing sound, just what i wanted. Im very, very, very satisfied!
    Blind In 1 Ear
    just got this amp. i dont like a lot of the models. maybe i havent fiddled with them enough but most seem to high gain for my tastes. the effects are pretty decent though. my favorite is probably the vibratone effect. can get a kind of brian may hollow type sound and a SRV, almost organ type sound that he used sometimes. i usually use setting 4 with is a clean blackface i think. put some pedals in front and it sounds great. i can get lots of good sounds from it easily.
    FBXZ2
    I agree, great sounding amp. The only voice I use is #1 for the tweed champ tone, and no effects. It sounds similar to the 1964 Tolex covered 5f1 I had back in the mid 80s. The only dissapointment is, this amp was supose to be a "Vibro Champ" and the one effect that it's to do well sucks; the tremolo cuts sustain.