GG-25 review by Gorilla

Gorilla: GG-25

I've used this amp almost exclusively with my Ibanez RG5EX1, which I use to play everything from classical, death metal, blues, hard rock, alt rock, you name it. I'm not an effects-heavy player so distortion is usually the only thing I need, and the distortion on this amp is decent enough to play most hard rock/early metal stuff. I do however, have a Boss Metal Zone and Chorus Ensemble which make up for the lack of features on this amp. Clean is nice and clear, not amazing, but not awful either. It can handle loud volumes decently though, and doesn't lose tonal quality as you get louder.

As I said before, my playing style varies and I have been playing for about a year. At the moment I own a Line 6 Spider III 120, although I am thinking of changing this for another amp. Because this amp is designed to be a cheap practice amp, it does what it was meant to fairly well, in my opinion. If it were stolen I think it would be somewhat funny that someone would steal my crappy little amp, although I am sort of attached to it since that's what I started out on. As I said before, it does what it was meant to and it does it well, and for a guitarist taking their first few steps into The Music world, this is great to have.

Unfortunately, the particular amp looks like it spent some time back in 'Nam(but for the price, can't complain really), so I can't judge how it would be had I gotten it new. Since I got it I have taken pretty good care of it and it's flown with me on a trip all the way down to Florida and back up to Virginia with no problems. The only thing is that with mine I have to have it at a certain setting; all the EQ knobs have to be around 12, as well as my MST vol and only then can I have any sort of control over the volume. It hasn't broken down, but it can kind of sputter at times to the point where the volume knob does nothing really, until it "settles down". I would of course not gig with this without a backup(I would be hesitant even use this as my backup), unless the venue was something like a small room. Although I did once use mine to play in a video for a school project and despite the gnawing fear I felt it ended up working fine(with my pedals).

I have no idea what year this amp was made in, but judging from the condition of mine it's easily over a few years old. This amp is pretty straightforward as it's only a little practice amp and has a single speaker, input jack, volume, "MST" volume, 3 knob EQ(low, mid, high), a clean channel and a Switch labeled "TubeStack" to turn on overdrive/distortion (although the title would imply the amp is a Tube amp, I have yet to find any inside the amp). The back has a line out port and a headphone jack. I think it was obviously designed to be just an affordable practice amp for beginners(and it sure was for me), so it's lack of features isn't too much of a problem. I use it in my living room, where I practice, and it has plenty of power for this.

Morbius77
    The Place where I used to take lessons used these in all of the classrooms for the electrics. I believe these little guys are products of the mid to late 80's, and there are a couple of different models. One is a single channel, and the other is a 10" speaker with a gain knob.