T-64RS review by Guitar Research

Purchased from: Music Go Round

As I said earlier in the review, this amp is about as versatile as an amp can be. From beautiful, glassy cleans, to face melting distortion and everything in between, this amp has it's bases covered very well. That all depends on what the gain knob is set at. If the gain knob is set low, then there's very little breakup. When the gain knob is cranked past 4 or 5, then you start to hear that sweet, sweet breakup. When this thing is EQ'd properly, it can put out some skull crushingly nasty tones. If you want an idea of how brutal this thing can get, pick up a copy of "Deathcrush", by a band called Mayhem. Yeah, it can get that heavy! I'm using an '85 NJ BC Rich ST-III with an Official Floyd, and a Seymour Duncan JB. I'm also using a Fender Standard Stratocaster with a set of Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II's. Both guitars sound just great through this amp. It brings out each guitar's individual character and tone nicely. I don't have one set music style. I play everything from Stevie Ray Vaughan and Hendrix, to Metallica and Mayhem, to Alice In Chains and Pearl Jam, and pretty much everything else under the sun. It does everything just fine, especially the heavier stuff. It's very, very reminiscent of a Marshall Plexi when it's cranked. Yeah, what an absurd claim, I know, but it's the honest to god truth. If you don't believe me, go and try one out, and prepare to be floored. If I didn't know better, I'd say this baby was 100% valve, no shitting. If I'm lying, I'm crying, and I ain't shed a tear. I've never experienced any unwanted noise that couldn't be dealt with by turning my guitar's tone knob down a little. Overall, the sound is just A+. I'm just incredibly satisfied with the overall quality of this amp's tone, even on lower volumes.

A few years. I own an Epiphone Valve Jr. Head, and some other stuff. I would buy this amp again in a heartbeat, provided I could even find one. They've since been discontinued, and are very difficult to find. I love everything about this amp. The only gripes I have are that it didn't come with a footswitch, there's no mid control for the clean channel, and the head only has a 4 ohm output. The pros outweigh the cons by far, though. No, didn't compare. I just plugged into this baby, cranked all the knobs to 10, and after about 5 minutes of playing, I knew it was for me. You don't find many amps like this little gem very often, if at all. A footswitch, a mid control for the clean channel, and more speaker cabinet outputs. If any of your guys reading this EVER see one of these little red half stacks, do not even hesitate to pick it up. They're rare, sound GREAT, and cost next to nothing. Overall, this was the best $150 I ever spent on a piece of gear. Ever. If anybody wants pictures or sound clips, or has any questions about this amp, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Oh yeah, she's reliable. When I first got it, I forgot to plug the head into the cabinet before turning it on. For a lot of amp heads, that's an instant death sentence, but not for my T64RS. All I did was plug the head into the cab, then turned it on and waited for it to warm up, and it worked just fine. That's a sure sign of a reliable amp. I treat my amp very well, and it has returned the favor. The preamp tube is probably 3 or 4 years old, and this amp has yet to even skip a beat. Hell, I've been waiting about a year for it's preamp tube to go out so that I can toss in a Sovtek I bought, but the stock one just refuses to die.

If I had to guess, I'd say 2004 or 2005. The clean channel is extremely versatile. You can get warm, glassy Vintage Stratocaster tones, or you can get nasty, loud blues type tones just by cranking the gain. As far as the dirty channel goes, it's easily as versatile. It can get everything from classic rock, to grunge, to punk, to black metal with just a little bit of tweaking. Overall, it's about as diverse as an amplifier can get. The T64RS has two channels; Clean and Dirty. And yes, it has channel switching, an effects loop, and a headphone jack. The only thing I wish it had come with is a footswitch, but those are easy enough to find, so it's no biggie. I wish it had a footswitch, different speaker cabinet outputs, and a Mid control for the clean channel. The head only has an output for a 4 ohm speaker cabinet, but again, that's no big deal. And all the features of the amp are very usable, even the spring reverb. I use this amp for home, studio, and gigs, and it's just fine. 60 watts is more than enough for me. I'd also like to note that the speaker cabinet that came with the head is just great. The red tolex matches the head beautifully, and the speakers sound great. The carrying handles are a bit on the cheap side, but whatever.

steven111
    BRoo , Im GEttin this one , CAn YOu SEnd ME some Sound CLips???!! APreciate =)
    outlawgal
    Does anyone have a schematic for the head? Last song of last set of a gig, the head gave up the ghost. This amp has SUCH a great sound I'd like to see if someone can repair it but thus far all over town same story -- need the values--got a schematic??? SO does ANYONE have a schematic??
    pedro57
    They were produced specifically for, and sold by, Sam Ash...have you given them a try? Good luck!