GA15 review by Harley Benton

Harley Benton: GA15

Price paid: € 160

Purchased from: Thomann Music

I play a stock Gibson LP and play rock and blues. Right out the box, this amp sounds pretty decent. Warm clean tones can be acheived with some EQ tweaking. Responds like a tube amp should. It stays clean until you turn the volume up to about the 2 o'clock position. It breaks up OK, but if you want really good distortion, you will need a pedal. I don't play metal, so I can't say how it would work for that. There is a slight hum on higher volumes, but nothing really bad. At max volume, a little rattle from the chasis can be heard. Again, nothing overbearing, I put my GT-8 in front of it(no amp sims) and it really sounded good. I use the natural OD setting, some EQ, and delay. This amp with the GT-8 will do all the songs my coverband plays (AC/DC, Greenday, ZZ Top, Guns N' Roses, Gary Moore, Pink Floyd, etc). It is loud enough to be heard over a drummer that doesn't kill his drums. I have had no problems hearing it in the band room or on stage. I hooked up a 1x12 cab to go along with the int. speaker, and the sound improved quite a bit. I sit the amp on top of the cab to bring the sound up closer to my ears. I'm looking forward to trying out some different tubes in this little guy. I think there is a lot of possibilities in this amp.

I have played for 27 years and have owned countless amps over those years, tube and SS, cheap and not so cheap. Good tone does not have to cost a ton of money. Years of tweaking and trying different things has taught me that exspensive does not automatically equal good tone. This amp with a few choice effects sounds good, and does not Hurt the bank account. I get just as many compliments as our other guitarist, and his rig cost over 2000Euros! I would buy another one in a heartbeat should something happen to this one. It's a good amp for a good price. Remember, tone is as personal as religion, so please keep that in mind.

I never gig without a backup. I haven't had this amp very long, so I can't really rate it's reliability fairly. Seems sturdy enough. I guess time will tell. It does have a 3-year Thomann warranty. I have never had a problem with thier service. I feel confident with my purchase. I have owned another Harley Benton amp for over a year with no problems, so I hope this one holds up as well.

1-channel fulltube guitar combo, class A, 15 Watts, 1 x 10" speaker, 3-band EQ, volume control, 2 x 12AX7 preamp tubes, 2 x EL84 power amp tubes, line out (jack), effectloop, 3 speaker outs (4, 8, 16 Ohms), headphone out. Made in China 2008. I use this amp at home, in the band room, and for gigging (mic'ed to the PA). It is not very heavy, so it is easy on the back! With Thomann's 30-day money-back guarantee, it's easy to return if you don't like it.

Genghis_khan
    enselmis wrote: can u get em in canada? it sounds good.
    Harley Benton is the house brand from Thomann (instrument store in Germany) and they ship to most countries in this planet, I'm sure they will ship to Canada. You can check the site in www.thomann.de y see hoe much the charge for the shipment to your country.
    eargasmicalist
    I have one of these, modded it to get rid of the annoying buzzing that is caused by the AC heater element & upgraded the speaker to a Celestion Tube 10 - sounds sweet as. I use mine with a GNX4, no amp sims, just FX. Also have a homebuilt 2 x 10 cab with Celestion G10S 50's in it - sounds AWESOME through that. Highly recommended (but some mods needed to get rid of buzzing)