HB-20G review by Harley Benton

Harley Benton: HB-20G

Purchased from: Thomann

I use a HMBS620TR guitar that came with it and I vary between pickups. When the gain is too high the amp has quite a bit of hiss even when the volume on the guitar is turned down but when you are playing you don't really notice it. The amp can create a wide variety of sounds from classsic rock to black metal but I still feel the need for a multi effects processor. The clean channel is very good and by adjusting the tone on my guitar I can get it to sound almost acoustic. The distrotion on this amp is perfect for black metal but a bit too heavy for lighter styles.

When played with my HBMS620TR this amp is able to caters for my needs very well. If it was lost or stolen I would by the same one again. The stlying of the amp is very good and it looks like a high qualty amp. The only additon I would make is some basic effects like echo and chorus but that would inevitibly raise the price.

This amp has never broken even after several knocks and I am confident it will last for a good deal longer. If was playing a gig I would be confident without a backup but if I had another amp I would bring it along just in case. The amp has rubber corner protectors that seem to absorb and shocks very well without damaging themselves or the amp itself.

I mostly play classic rock and metal and this amp suits the styles well. It has 1 clean and 1 OD channel with adjustible gain. It has treble, middle and bass equalisers plus a headphone jack and a line out plug. I only really use this amp in my room for practice (with headphones in) but I have used it playing a jam session and it had plenty of power. It is a solid state amp and has sepreate volume control for OD and clean channels.

vaca11
    A newbie review and too biased. This amp s*cks as i know. But for that price its the king of its class.
    MaggaraMarine
    MaggaraMarine
    MaggaraMarine wrote: My friend has a Harley Benton SS amp (it's bigger than this, maybe 40w or 60w) and IT SUCKS!! The distortion is soooo flat sounding and the amp hums a lot. And when you keep the power on long time the hum just gets louder and louder. Awful amp.
    Yeah, never seen worse amp. It's the 40 watt version he has. I've never heard a dryer sound coming from an amp. Maybe his was a bit broken, dunno. He doesn't use it any more because he uses garage band. But he used it four years. And he played with a crappy HB strat for four years before he bought the Gibson SG. I don't get how he didn't quit playing because of so crappy sounding gear! For the price of this you could get something much better. It costs as much as Micro Cube which is a great practice amp for that money.