IC-100 212 Review

manufacturer: HH Electronic date: 06/14/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
HH Electronic: IC-100 212
The amp is made by HH Electronic, who no longer trade. The amp's power is 100W, with 2x12 speakers. You can choose to use one or both of these speakers at once, making it suitable for bedroom practice and gigging.
 9.5
 3,644
review (1) pictures (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
IC-100 212 Reviewed by: Haydenr25, on june 14, 2011

Features: The amp is made by HH Electronic, who no longer trade. My friend's father owned the amp since 1979, but stopped using it at around 1990. Since then it was sitting in his garage collecting dust. This amp is very versatile. I play anything from Iron Maiden to Oasis to Muse to assorted jazz. I can get average-good tones for all my styles. Two channels are built into the IC-100. To Switch channels, you unplug your lead and plug it back into the seperate jack. While this may seem inconvenient, each channel has a seperate set of EQ'ing knobs (Treble, Bass and "Presence/Brilliance" - which is Gain), which I simply love as it allows you to go from one perfected tone to another without messing with your dials. Tremelo and Reverb effects also come built in. The amp's power is 100W, with 2x12 speakers. You can choose to use one or both of these speakers at once, making it suitable for bedroom practice and gigging. Overall this deserves a 9, as the ability to have two seperate tones set up ready to swap is a brilliant addition. // 9

Sound: I currently own two guitars: a Stratocaster copy (3 single coils, 1 volume and 2 control pots) and a Les Paul copy (2 humbuckers, 2 tone and 2 volume pots). Using the clean channel I can get good jazz tones or sparkling blues to ambient Pink Floyd style (with my Stratocaster). Using the disorted channel, I can get anything from crunchy Zeppelin (with my Les Paul) to harder, Iron Maiden type tones. Even at full gain the tone is still good, it doesn't sound muddy or gritty, very clear and overall good distortion. However, my only complaint is that the amp sometimes "rumbles". The amp does hum a slight bit, but nothing that a noise gate would not fix. Although, it only hums with my single coil equipped Strat copy, so this is to be expected. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would not gig with this amp without a backup, but I wouldn't go to any gig without a backup. After 11 years of heavy use from my friend's father then collecting dust for 20 years with barely any use, and still sounds brilliant, I could not knock this amp for reliability! // 9

Overall Impression: After owning this amp for around 5 months, it has truly grown on me. The best feature of this is also the worst, the seperate channels with seperate EQ panels - you need to manually unplug your cable and plug it into the different socket. But you could get around this with using a distortion/overdrive pedal for playing live, then change your channels in between songs. If it were to be stolen, I would definitely try to find one in working order, or even a slightly broken one and pay for it to get fixed. Overall a fantastic amp, covering all of my styles with watery cleans and clear distortion. // 9

Comments