Panther P200 review by Hohner

• Reviewer's score: 4.8 Poor
Hohner: Panther P200

Purchased from: Gift

Together with a Hohner ST Special with no-name SC pickups, this acutally makes a decent tone for blues and rock. I would not recommend it for metal in any way though. It doesn't really suit my music style without a pedal, and I usually play metal. Depending on the guitar, it can also be quite noisy. On my single-coil strat it's a bit noisy, but it is in a room with a couple of computers usually running, so that could have something to do with it. Distortion wise, this isn't a very good choice. I've seen MUCH better amps for metal and other harder channels. Clean is decent, but too muddy for me. You can have a distortion on-the-cheap by maxing your distortion channel, input channel and putting the master volume to your desired level.

Overall I don't think this amp is for metal at all. No one ever said that, but don't even consider this (even if it's a gift) to buy this to a relative/friend. It was my first amp, and even after 2 years I'm not able to get any good sound out of it (I'm using computer amp modeling software instead). If this was stolen, I wouldn't even bother getting it back. I really wished it had a more metal distortion.

It seems pretty reliable, has round metalized corners and I doubt it would break down. The plastic knobs has fallen off a couple of times, but you can still adjust it, it's just more painful.

The year the amp was made in is not really known to me. I've tried looking around on it, and by looking at some of the stickers, I would say it's from the late 90's. In versatility it doesn't really score that many points, because it has what most amps has - volume, 3-point EQ and input. I nearly forgot to mention the headphone circuit, which is a complete joke. I don't know about other amps, but this amp gives you the guitar sound, in one side of the headphones. I nearly killed myself when I figured that out. It also has a distortion knob - which sounds a bit Fender-ish. I haven't had a chance to test both of the channels, as it can only be controlled by a pedal, which I firstly don't have, and the jack in the back seems to have hidden itself inside the amp.