Panther P200 Review

manufacturer: Hohner date: 12/22/2008 category: Guitar Amplifiers

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Hohner: Panther P200
This amp is only good for clean sounds, overdrive and treble make the entire thing sound cheap.
 6.4
 5.6
 7.2
 2,557
reviews (2) user comments vote for this gear:
Panther P200 Reviewed by: MetalNick, on february 27, 2006

Features: Amp was bought from someone who got if from his uncle, he lated admitted, and his uncle got it from a friend, so I have no clue how old it is. This amp is only good for clean sounds if you ask me, overdrive and treble make the entire thing sound cheap. I always keep everything but volume, master and middle on 0. I use it at home, since my fellow guitarist in my band has a proper amp with 2 entries. It's got enough power to give me some official warnings from the police tough. // 6

Sound: I use my Stagg X300, fake Strat and a semi-electric. I does not really fit metal and punk as a amp alone, but it handles effects very well. As I said the amp is only good for clean tones on its own. It has only got one bit overdriven channel. Distortion? Don't make me laugh, I'm glad I got my Boss effects. // 4

Reliability & Durability: It is very rely-able, I don't know how many times it fell over in my dad's MPV taking me to guitar lessons. I haven't gigged with it, it lacks tone for it acctually. // 9

Overall Impression: It doesn't match what I'm playing very well, I got it for something that would be concidered about enough with it's quality rating. But still I love this amp. It handles cleans so good, and I need that sometimes. But, if you would give me money for a good tube amp, I would glady throw it out of the window. // 6

Panther P200 Reviewed by: gonX, on december 22, 2008

Features: The year the amp was made in is not really known to me. I've tried looking around on it, and by looking at some of the stickers, I would say it's from the late 90's. In versatility it doesn't really score that many points, because it has what most amps has - volume, 3-point EQ and input. I nearly forgot to mention the headphone circuit, which is a complete joke. I don't know about other amps, but this amp gives you the guitar sound, in one side of the headphones. I nearly killed myself when I figured that out. It also has a distortion knob - which sounds a bit Fender-ish. I haven't had a chance to test both of the channels, as it can only be controlled by a pedal, which I firstly don't have, and the jack in the back seems to have hidden itself inside the amp. // 4

Sound: Together with a Hohner ST Special with no-name SC pickups, this acutally makes a decent tone for blues and rock. I would not recommend it for metal in any way though. It doesn't really suit my music style without a pedal, and I usually play metal. Depending on the guitar, it can also be quite noisy. On my single-coil strat it's a bit noisy, but it is in a room with a couple of computers usually running, so that could have something to do with it. Distortion wise, this isn't a very good choice. I've seen MUCH better amps for metal and other harder channels. Clean is decent, but too muddy for me. You can have a distortion on-the-cheap by maxing your distortion channel, input channel and putting the master volume to your desired level. // 4

Reliability & Durability: It seems pretty reliable, has round metalized corners and I doubt it would break down. The plastic knobs has fallen off a couple of times, but you can still adjust it, it's just more painful. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall I don't think this amp is for metal at all. No one ever said that, but don't even consider this (even if it's a gift) to buy this to a relative/friend. It was my first amp, and even after 2 years I'm not able to get any good sound out of it (I'm using computer amp modeling software instead). If this was stolen, I wouldn't even bother getting it back. I really wished it had a more metal distortion. // 4

More Hohner reviews rating category latest review
+ MR800 5.9 Electric Guitars 04/25/2013