Attax 100 Review

11,604
review (1) pictures (2) 15 comments vote for this gear:
Attax 100 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 27, 2010

Price paid: € 449.99

Purchased from: local music store

Features: The new attax series, this on made 2009 - 100w solid state - 4 channel (clean, crunch, lead, ultra) - Channel FX Memory - 4-way footswitch - digital effects section (reverb, delay, mod-fx - closed back combo - serial fx-loop - Headphones input - line in/out - 12'' Celestion Rockdriver Ultra2 - external speaker input (8ohms) - works with piezos The only downside is, that crunch, lead and ultra are sharing their eq-section // 9

Sound: I mostly use two guitars: A SSS Strat-copy another with EMG X-series humbuckers. Clean: with sc's it sounds very open and dynamic, playing wit the eq's you can get a very warm 3dimensinal sound. With the EMGs it sounds way more compressed but still organic (X-series). I like this chan best with a little chorus and delay. Stays clean till max Vol. 10/10 Chrunch: wow. I really was surprised about this one. Never heard a more authentic crunch on an solid state. It's not a plexi but for this price it beats a few mid-class tube amps, which aren't made for chrunch. I don't use any built-in fx in this chan. 9/10 Lead: also good but in my view the weakest chan. It has enough punch to cut through the mix. With sc's you should cranck gain a little more as with humbuckers. Stays defined. 7/10 Ultra: very good distortion (for me absolutely enough, with sc's I'll turn it up to half) remaines defined. Less mids than lead. 9/10 The in every Drive chan (crunch, lead, ultra) the amp reacts very well to the volume pot, so you can play the ultra chan absolutely clean. The built in (digtal)effects can be set individual per chan: chorus: Really nice chorus sound, especially while using the clean channel. 9/10 flanger: Also a good flanger. I personally like it best in the lead chan. 8.5/10 tremolo: A weak point? I don't use it often, have heard better. 6/10 delay: It's better than most pedals I've used, you can set from 80ms to 1.4s an there is an other knob for intensity. 10/10 reverb: In my view a good reverb, but you can hear that it's digital. 6/10 It's solid state so it sounds also good on low volumes. The EQ is very sensitive. So all in all it's a 8.3 (and in comparison to real big all-tube amps I've used 8 is OK). In my fx-loop I use an EHX Tube Eq which really improves the sound. (to a 9 or 9.somewhat). // 8

Reliability & Durability: Definitely dependable amp, no tubes to break, no servicing. The footswitch is really sturdy, cable is long enough (if you step on it it doesn't make a sound). I would definetely gig with it. The backplate is ~16mm and so the rest is. So far so good from what I've seen (I didn't open it). No problems so far, made in Germany, definetely better than Matrix. // 10

Overall Impression: I play nearly everything and this amp suits it. It's just the tone I like, not a famous sound, but my sound and that's what the attax delivers. At gigs it's just miked and I don't have to carry a 412cab. It sounds good when used at home playing. In this price range I haven't found a better on yet. If the sound seems to thin it helps to put it on a higher place (or use an extension cabinet). So for me a perfect ten. // 10

Comments