Attax 80 review by Hughes & Kettner

Hughes & Kettner: Attax 80

I'm using a Squier Bullet with 3 single coils and yes. It sounds good. Though the distortion mode 2 channel have this 80 metals to it and is always noisy. But the clean channel is actually quite stunning! It sounds like a tube amp, really rich and warm and is never noisy, not even with a distortion pedal. So forget all those tubeheads. Actually it sounds like a Fender Twin Reverb! You can go from Ramones to Nirvana to Pixies to The Breeders. But it suits rock/grunge the most. If you try the clean channel to it's max it's not noisy. But it's loud. The distortion is as I said, noisy and '80s dirty metal! But you can get a really good AC/DC sound!

Let's face it. I play Nirvana but yes I play Led Zeppelin to AC/DC. It sounds good with all 3. I've been playin for 2 years I have a Kustom Quad 100, Kustom KMA 100 and a Kustom 30. They all sound washed out and plain. But this baby sounds so good. Really rich and full. Just like a tubeamp. If this would get stolen I would think that the thief had a really good taste for amps and I would buy one again. I love that you can get the exact sound from "All Apologies" and that you can get the exact sound from "Back In Black." But I would love to see a chorus effect later on! Anything else? No.

I'm totally reliable to this amp. It's like a tank. I have used it in 2 years and it still sounds amazing. I would never bring my Kustom quad HD and Cab no more since this is so portable and loud. This amp doesnt't loose any bottom if you crank this baby up with a cab so I love it.

The amp was made in the early 2000 I belive. The amp comes with a pedal (H&K FS-1) suits me for any style. And I play from rock to pop to hardrock to punk. It has 2 channels, 2 distorted (one '70s mode and one modern mode) and 1 clean and even 2 speaker outputs. It gives 80 watts of power but if you connect it to a cab then you can get it's full 100 watt. It has a lot of power for a 80 watter! And the effects. It has a spring reverb, sounds great. But I miss the chorus effect that I have on my other amp.

clapton_dodger
    i also a h&k and its really great, i love it its very versatile. and mine is also noisy in the dist.dont know why
    E V H 5150
    This is only $200? If it sounds good like you say with just a Squier Bullet, my Peavey would sound great through this amp. Maybe I'll conider it.
    Art Of Music
    I forgot to mention that if you connect it to a cab it will sound EVEN better but it dies out sometimes but comes back after a while and its not even on the highest level... WEIRD...
    thedarkest92
    its got really great effects, and size for the price i bought mine used for $125 at our local guitar store
    Kaoriblast
    I got a Attax40 since I only play for myself and my neighbors doesn't like how loud it sounds (I am a nice little boy you see). But it is equally great.
    SilverSpider71
    I have a mid 90's Attax 80 and it is a great SS amp. The clean channel has tons of headroom and takes to an OD pedal very well. The dirt is noisy and a bit sterile in my opinion but works OK with an OD pedal to fatten up sound. I was a huge Peavey SS fan(guess I still am) but when I heard this one I had to have and have since sold my other SS amps.