Edition Blue 15-R review by Hughes & Kettner

Hughes & Kettner: Edition Blue 15-R

I am playing my strat, which has an all single coil configuration into a multi-effect RP90(I only use it to boost my signal and possible EQ and pickup change to humbucker), into a DOD FX-53 that really only acts as a type of presence control and volume booster most of the time. The amp suits me and my music styles because I play mainly 80's rock and bluesy stuff as well, I can tweak the EQ and amount of gain to get pretty close to a lot of sounds from Eddie Van Halen's to Angus Young's, and the amp can put out more of a high gain type of sound too. I don't really ever put my gain knob past 7. The clean channel breaks up starting at 12 o'clock and does so even more the further you turn it clockwise. It also responds very much like a tube amp in how your picking affects the overall sound output. Though I do pick up ESPN radio when I'm in my basement playing on the overdrive channel. I don't get radio signals anywhere else I play, just in my house, so it might not be a severe problem as it is just standard interference from the radio waves.

As I said earlier, I play mainly Van Halen and other 80's rock, from AC/DC to Def Leppard and everything in between. I dabble with blues quite a bit too, and this amp can pretty much give me a very british overdrive sound and feel with its warmth, or a very bluesy crunchy type of tone and feel. Very versatile for having so few knobs and not modelling like a Line6. If someone stole it I would try to upgrade to the 30 or 60 watt versions just so I could have a gigging size of this amp. The most interesting feature on this amp is the volume control for the gain/od channel. I love it because it changes your sound from running at half-volume and full-volume, it really opens up tonal possibilities. I consider myself a tone-freak, I love playing around with different possibilities and eventually find a suitable tone for everything I like to play. I would definitely recommend this to anybody looking for an affordable amp that has great tone and reliability, definitely before going to Line6 SS modelling products. The only thing that I don't like about this amp is that it isn't quite big enough to gig with, which is why I am looking for the bigger versions... Rock On!

Durability: This thing is durable, its been on 3 flights so far, all in the luggage compartment, a few road trips and has yet to fail me in any aspect. I would not want to use this amp at a gig unless I mic'd it, then I would definitely go for it. Reliability: I would be able to gig with this amp very well do to it being only 15 watts and just not quite loud enough to overcome the drums, unless it was mic'd.

This amp was made in, I believe, 2004-5. It is all solid-state but doesn't sound like it is. For home practice, this amp is an absolute charm. I have been playing for about 6 1/2 years now, and this amp lets me shape my sound fairly well considering the size and that it's not a modeler. I have played a B-52 AT100 212 on clean and compared to that, the H&K's clean channel was just as good as the B-52 all tube combo's. The overdrive channel, for a 15 watt practice amp, gets really good-sounding overdrive and tone. I would compare the way the clean channel reacts to turning the volume knob higher to that of a tube amp breaking up, and when you max it, it can put out some really great sounding bluesy-crunchy types of sounds. Has a real spring reverb in it, sounds awesome. I do think that this amp is missing a little bit more freedom by not having the footswitch, but it is a 15 watt practice amp and the bigger version's do come with a footswitch.