Edition Blue 15-R review by Hughes & Kettner

Hughes & Kettner: Edition Blue 15-R

Purchased from: Machinehead Music

I use an Ibanez RG420EG with the stock V7 and V8 pickups, and it suits my heavy rock down to the ground. Little bit of hiss when the gain is high, but thats no problem, because it happens to the best of the best, aswell as others. The lead channel has alot of variety, from blues crunch to screaming heavy lead, so the distortion is pretty brutal, great fror stuff like Metallica. the amp sounds best with alot of mids, and the clean channel stays clean most all the way up, and you can have full amp volume cleans is you roll your guitar volume back. This has to be one of the most versatile solid state amps ive ever used, and the cheapest amp i own, but i still play it more than the others.

With my other gear, it is a good match for my gear, I've been playing for 5 years and played a lot of SS and valve amplifiers, and this amp is right up there at the top somewhere, just behind the single recto. Although, I do wish it had slightly deeper reverb, but apart from that the amps tones and celestion speaker are truely unmatched in its class

I've gigged it without backup, and it didn't let me down. I'm not exactly careful with my gear sometimes, but it's still holding out perfectly. This amp wont really need regular servicing, as it is solid state, but it is a good idea to clean the pots with some electrical contact cleaner if the amp starts to crackle when you turn the volume/eq knobs etc.

Good, simple controls, 2 channels; Clean and Lead, 3 band EQ, master volume and master reverb. It also has a headphone jack and CD in. All any amp ever needs, no digital effects (those are on the 15DFX, not the 15R) which is just how I like it. 15 watts of SS power is plenty enough for any bedroom player, or anyone Who happens to play band rehersals, will need miking for gigs though.