Edition Blue 15-R review by Hughes & Kettner

Hughes & Kettner: Edition Blue 15-R

Purchased from: Second Hand

This amp is a few years old, I was looking for a cheap practice amp with a nice sound. The amp has two channels clean/lead with a single input and shared eq and a built-min reverb. It's very basic but thats what I was after. The amp is bigger than most 15 watt amps I looked at but the sound is much bigger also so it can be forgiven. There is an option to insert an MP3 aux in the back of the amp via a split RCA lead and a headphone insert with all large jack sits on top.  Overall the amp looks great with the big Hughes and Kettner writing in white on the black cloth front and the control panel lights up on top when power is on (no forgetting if it was left on).

The sound is awesome! It has a really nice warm bottom end and mid range with clean highs. But it's the warmth of this amp that stands out and almost makes you think you are playing through a nice tube amp. The clean channel is clean and the drive channel is dirty as to be expected. It has enough drive to get some pretty heavy AC/DC-ish sounds going but if you are a thrash guy you will need to run a pedal... Luckily I am not ma thrash guy! I dig a warm blues sound and this is perfect! I also enjoy a bit of overdriven Hendrix and also some clean funk, all of which this amp can do with ease. The reverb which is the only effect is nice, its all the reverb you will ever need without going overboard like some amps where its just stupidly over the top.

This amp is by no means flimsy but the construction is very high wide and narrow (not deep). Sort of the opposite of a Roland Cube. This means it does not take much to push it over and I'm not sure it needed to be this big. As there is a good four inches between the 8 inch speaker hole and the sides of the the unit. I'm thinking the design department was more concerned with aesthetics. The control panel lights up blue and the fit is very nice with the knobs countersunk into a pie e of perspex, but again they have gone for looks over sturdiness. All that said, this is not a flims unit, it just could have been built with more cab kicking in mind.

I play Hendrix, Red Hot Chili Peppers, funk, blues and overdriven blues. This amp handles it all very well. If this unit were stolen I would def look for another one, however I would look for the newer unit with a few fun effects. The amp is simple, the sound is simple but it is high quality. I also looked at a Fender Frontman 15, a small Marshall 10 and a few others and this amp had the warmest and most high quality sound of them all. I cranked the amp up the other day and it was so so loud. I don't think you would have any problems at a practice with an average drummer, but its not gigging loud.