Edition Blue 15-R Review

manufacturer: Hughes & Kettner date: 02/24/2015 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Hughes & Kettner: Edition Blue 15-R
Never judge a book by its cover -- this mighty mouse roars, supplying a level of tonal quality unprecedented in it's class! This compact practice amp delivers fat, lively and richly detailed tone. Featuring a specially tuned 8" Celestion speaker.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.4
 9.1
 8.7
 9.4
 8,972
reviews (5) pictures (1) 11 comments vote for this gear:
Edition Blue 15-R Reviewed by: LoW, on december 08, 2006

Purchased from: F-Music

Features: This amp was made in 2005. I play very much trash and death metal, and this amp has pretty good overdrive. It's a shame, that H&K's amps doesn't have any extra effects. In this box there's a clean and overdrive channels. It doesn't have place for footswitch, but it does include a place for headphones. I use it in my home, so it's ok for using it here, but it's nothing in band house. There I must always use a bigger amp instead of this. // 7

Sound: I have an ESP LTD Viper-100FM, and it has LH-100 pickups, so it's pretty good for heavier stuff. The good thing is, that it doesn't make so much noise than other 15 watt amps. You can make very soft, but still keeping it heavy sound, and you can make a blues rock kinda sound. That's not allways good thing, cause' when you put clean to the halfway, it does that kinda bluesy sound. So if you like playing hard rock or blues, this is very good amp for home using, but if you like more playing clean stuff and chordes, you should think some other amps! Distortion is some about in halfway from Foo Fighters and Slayer. It's shame, that, when you get gain button to 0, 1 or 2, the voice gets silence, and I wanted it to be little more rock kinda' distortion! // 8

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't use it on a gig, except if it was a gig without drums, cause' it doesn't have enough much powerfull voice, it's pretty silent. The good thing is, that it's never been broken! The best thing is, that it's not like big(ger) amps, you don't have to wait, that the sound comes out! // 7

Overall Impression: As I said, I play lot of heavy stuff, and it's ok match. It does sometimes make that noise from guitar, and you have to get the volume button in guitar to zero, I've owned this amp for over half year. I buyed this amp because it had pretty god distortion, and I needed an amp for home use. If, it would be lost or stolen, I would not buy a new one. I love it's Trash Metal-like distortion! I play bands like Lamb Of God, BFMV and Slayer and stuff, and it's great for that! I still wish it would have that foot-switch! // 8

Edition Blue 15-R Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 08, 2009

Features: This amp was made in, I believe, 2004-5. It is all solid-state but doesn't sound like it is. For home practice, this amp is an absolute charm. I have been playing for about 6 1/2 years now, and this amp lets me shape my sound fairly well considering the size and that it's not a modeler. I have played a B-52 AT100 212 on clean and compared to that, the H&K's clean channel was just as good as the B-52 all tube combo's. The overdrive channel, for a 15 watt practice amp, gets really good-sounding overdrive and tone. I would compare the way the clean channel reacts to turning the volume knob higher to that of a tube amp breaking up, and when you max it, it can put out some really great sounding bluesy-crunchy types of sounds. Has a real spring reverb in it, sounds awesome. I do think that this amp is missing a little bit more freedom by not having the footswitch, but it is a 15 watt practice amp and the bigger version's do come with a footswitch. // 9

Sound: I am playing my strat, which has an all single coil configuration into a multi-effect RP90(I only use it to boost my signal and possible EQ and pickup change to humbucker), into a DOD FX-53 that really only acts as a type of presence control and volume booster most of the time. The amp suits me and my music styles because I play mainly 80's rock and bluesy stuff as well, I can tweak the EQ and amount of gain to get pretty close to a lot of sounds from Eddie Van Halen's to Angus Young's, and the amp can put out more of a high gain type of sound too. I don't really ever put my gain knob past 7. The clean channel breaks up starting at 12 o'clock and does so even more the further you turn it clockwise. It also responds very much like a tube amp in how your picking affects the overall sound output. Though I do pick up ESPN radio when I'm in my basement playing on the overdrive channel. I don't get radio signals anywhere else I play, just in my house, so it might not be a severe problem as it is just standard interference from the radio waves. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Durability: This thing is durable, its been on 3 flights so far, all in the luggage compartment, a few road trips and has yet to fail me in any aspect. I would not want to use this amp at a gig unless I mic'd it, then I would definitely go for it. Reliability: I would be able to gig with this amp very well do to it being only 15 watts and just not quite loud enough to overcome the drums, unless it was mic'd. // 8

Overall Impression: As I said earlier, I play mainly Van Halen and other 80's rock, from AC/DC to Def Leppard and everything in between. I dabble with blues quite a bit too, and this amp can pretty much give me a very british overdrive sound and feel with its warmth, or a very bluesy crunchy type of tone and feel. Very versatile for having so few knobs and not modelling like a Line6. If someone stole it I would try to upgrade to the 30 or 60 watt versions just so I could have a gigging size of this amp. The most interesting feature on this amp is the volume control for the gain/od channel. I love it because it changes your sound from running at half-volume and full-volume, it really opens up tonal possibilities. I consider myself a tone-freak, I love playing around with different possibilities and eventually find a suitable tone for everything I like to play. I would definitely recommend this to anybody looking for an affordable amp that has great tone and reliability, definitely before going to Line6 SS modelling products. The only thing that I don't like about this amp is that it isn't quite big enough to gig with, which is why I am looking for the bigger versions... Rock On! // 9

Edition Blue 15-R Reviewed by: benjo83, on february 24, 2015

Purchased from: Second Hand

Features: This amp is a few years old, I was looking for a cheap practice amp with a nice sound. The amp has two channels clean/lead with a single input and shared eq and a built-min reverb. It's very basic but thats what I was after. The amp is bigger than most 15 watt amps I looked at but the sound is much bigger also so it can be forgiven. There is an option to insert an MP3 aux in the back of the amp via a split RCA lead and a headphone insert with all large jack sits on top.  Overall the amp looks great with the big Hughes and Kettner writing in white on the black cloth front and the control panel lights up on top when power is on (no forgetting if it was left on). // 8

Sound: The sound is awesome! It has a really nice warm bottom end and mid range with clean highs. But it's the warmth of this amp that stands out and almost makes you think you are playing through a nice tube amp. The clean channel is clean and the drive channel is dirty as to be expected. It has enough drive to get some pretty heavy AC/DC-ish sounds going but if you are a thrash guy you will need to run a pedal... Luckily I am not ma thrash guy! I dig a warm blues sound and this is perfect! I also enjoy a bit of overdriven Hendrix and also some clean funk, all of which this amp can do with ease. The reverb which is the only effect is nice, its all the reverb you will ever need without going overboard like some amps where its just stupidly over the top. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This amp is by no means flimsy but the construction is very high wide and narrow (not deep). Sort of the opposite of a Roland Cube. This means it does not take much to push it over and I'm not sure it needed to be this big. As there is a good four inches between the 8 inch speaker hole and the sides of the the unit. I'm thinking the design department was more concerned with aesthetics. The control panel lights up blue and the fit is very nice with the knobs countersunk into a pie e of perspex, but again they have gone for looks over sturdiness. All that said, this is not a flims unit, it just could have been built with more cab kicking in mind. // 9

Overall Impression: I play Hendrix, Red Hot Chili Peppers, funk, blues and overdriven blues. This amp handles it all very well. If this unit were stolen I would def look for another one, however I would look for the newer unit with a few fun effects. The amp is simple, the sound is simple but it is high quality. I also looked at a Fender Frontman 15, a small Marshall 10 and a few others and this amp had the warmest and most high quality sound of them all. I cranked the amp up the other day and it was so so loud. I don't think you would have any problems at a practice with an average drummer, but its not gigging loud. // 10

Edition Blue 15-R Reviewed by: koregoth, on july 23, 2007

Purchased from: musicians friend

Features: This amp was made in 2006. It actually is quite a versatile amp, I play a wide range of music from jazz to metal and everything in between, while it did take some fine tuning on the eq for to get a good metal sound out of it, but what amp don't you have to fine to the eq. It has two channels clean and lead, it does not have a footswitch, which was a disappointment, no effects loop and a head phone jack. I really wish it had a footswitch, but I use a lot of pedals so it really doesn't matter. I use this amp mostly for practice in my living room, but I have played with a drummer with this little baby, it is loud enough for practice I never had to push the volume past 7. I don't think it would suit a Live show to well, unless you have a good sound system and you can mic it, then you are good to go. This is a solid-state amp, with spring reverb that is quite good. // 6

Sound: I am playing a les Paul custom on this amp, I think single coils would sound extremely good if played clean on this amp, the clean channel is so bright with humbuckers, single coils would just make it better. It suits my style perfectly, really like the dirty garage/blues sound you can get out of it, gain on 7 scoop the mids, turn your tone down a little, and this thing gets dirty. It's not a noise amp, even at high volume. This is a very versatile amp I played jazz, blues, ska, punk, classic rock and metal and it suits them all very well. The clean channel stays nice and bright all the way up to 7, but I wouldn't know how it sounds any louder than that. The distortion really isn't that brutal, as far as brutal distortions go this one is not on top. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It has never let me down, well if I actually took it to a gig, I don't think I would need a back up, It is a very tuff amp, it has been around the block a few time with me. It has never broken down for any reason, and I have droped it a few time on accident, it still looks new and I have pretty much thrashed this thing. // 9

Overall Impression: I play an extremely wide array of music and it suits them all very well. I have been playing for a little over 4 years, other than this amp I practice and gig with a Fender fm 100 half stack. If it were stolen I would have to kill some one, but yes I would buy it again. The only thing I wish it had was a footswitch. // 8

Edition Blue 15-R Reviewed by: Silver-spear94, on june 22, 2009

Purchased from: Machinehead Music

Features: Good, simple controls, 2 channels; Clean and Lead, 3 band EQ, master volume and master reverb. It also has a headphone jack and CD in. All any amp ever needs, no digital effects (those are on the 15DFX, not the 15R) which is just how I like it. 15 watts of SS power is plenty enough for any bedroom player, or anyone Who happens to play band rehersals, will need miking for gigs though. // 10

Sound: I use an Ibanez RG420EG with the stock V7 and V8 pickups, and it suits my heavy rock down to the ground. Little bit of hiss when the gain is high, but thats no problem, because it happens to the best of the best, aswell as others. The lead channel has alot of variety, from blues crunch to screaming heavy lead, so the distortion is pretty brutal, great fror stuff like Metallica. the amp sounds best with alot of mids, and the clean channel stays clean most all the way up, and you can have full amp volume cleans is you roll your guitar volume back. This has to be one of the most versatile solid state amps ive ever used, and the cheapest amp i own, but i still play it more than the others. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've gigged it without backup, and it didn't let me down. I'm not exactly careful with my gear sometimes, but it's still holding out perfectly. This amp wont really need regular servicing, as it is solid state, but it is a good idea to clean the pots with some electrical contact cleaner if the amp starts to crackle when you turn the volume/eq knobs etc. // 9

Overall Impression: With my other gear, it is a good match for my gear, I've been playing for 5 years and played a lot of SS and valve amplifiers, and this amp is right up there at the top somewhere, just behind the single recto. Although, I do wish it had slightly deeper reverb, but apart from that the amps tones and celestion speaker are truely unmatched in its class // 10

Comments