Edition Blue 30R Review

manufacturer: Hughes & Kettner date: 07/05/2007 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Hughes & Kettner: Edition Blue 30R
Sumo-sized sound in a posh looking package - that about sums up Edition Blue 30. The perfect amp for practicing at home and jamming with pals. Featuring a 10" Jensen speaker.
 8.3
 9.6
 4,471
review (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
Edition Blue 30R Reviewed by: Cardioclash, on july 05, 2007

Features: I don't know what year this amp was made in, but it probably is '06 or '07. This solid state combo is versatile enough for me, it goes from clean all the way to a nasty distortion, but maybe it might be a bit too 'soft' for black metal etc. Luckily, I don't even consider playing that kind of bs. The amp has two channels: clean and lead. You can Switch between channels with an optional footswitch. I use the amp control function of my Boss GT-8 as a footswitch. Speaking of which, this amp makes a killer team with the GT-8. I'm using this amp at home, and I think it's got enough power to blow the windows out, didn't try though. It's got enough features for me. The lack of effects doesn't bother me at all since I use my GT-8. It does have a spring reverb though, which in my opinion is better than the reverb in my GT-8. // 8

Sound: I'm using this amp with an Epiphone Les Paul Custom and it really kicks ass. I lost Faith in this world, I thought that everything was unfair and only crappy amps were produced these days (say it! Call me emo), until I found this one. The clean channel is so beautifully sparkling and the lead is so hot, and that for only J200 (approx. $260). There is a huge variety of sounds in this amp, but it was made for 'Vintage' music, so it sounds best with blues and classic rock, but you can get Metallica-ish sounds from it too. This definetely is one of the best amps in it's price range. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've only got this amp a few days but it looks like it's built to last. I think it's too small for a gig but I might probably use it on a small gig without backup. It's got a one-year factory warranty, but something in my head says it won't break down next year. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar for 2 years now, (and never owned a decent amp before) and I thought this amp might be a good present for my guitar anniversary. It just totally suits my needs. If this one were stolen, I'd probably get the 60 watt version but since I only use this one at home I might also buy it again. I'm in love with this amp and I hope you will be too. // 8

Comments