Edition Blue 60DFX review by Hughes & Kettner

Hughes & Kettner: Edition Blue 60DFX

Purchased from: Bootleg Music - Epsom

I play with an Epiphone G-400 with its standard Alnicos it creates very fat sound. I play a range of music from Razorlite to Metallica and the amp is perfectly suited to this. Originally I tried the H&K Matrix100 combo which I had originally set myself ofn getting but it has aparently been recently discontinued due to effects problems. When I tried this I expected that the 40 watts would make a huge difference but was pleasantly suprised when I tested the full volume. The 12" Celestion speaker means that the 60 DFX actually sounds as good as if not better than the Matrix series not to mention louder. The digital effect work exceptionally well and take effect immediately upon changing.

I've been playing using a Fender Frontman 15G for the last two years so the impression I have from the Edition Blue might just be from the sudden improvement in power etc. Unfortunately it does not have a warp effect like the Matrix did but I'm sure I can rectify that with a pedal. The amp is easily powerful enough for small venue stage use with the right setup the Edition Blue is perfect for gigs, hearing their sound at a local concert is what grabbed my interest. So whether your a starting out on the guitar or a hardened veteran the H&K edition blue 60DFX will be suited to you.

As I only bought it a few days ago it hasn't really been exposed to any excessively brutal conditions. However it did manage to fall out of the car boot on return from the shop and it still produces the perfect sounds it did when in the shop. The only damage I've found on it is a slight tear in the case around the dials which I pressume happened in the shop or when it was dropped.

The Hughes & Kettner 60 DFX is a fantastic Amp from the word go. When you turn it on the control panel lights up in blue which granted serves no purpose but looks pretty cool. It has a clean and lead channel with flange, delay, chorus and reveb digital effects. There is an optional stageboard which is sold separately which is a tad annoying if you want to switch through the channels. In the paper and book covered room of a teenager there is plenty enough power in a 60 watt amp and it sounds simply awesome.

Phill-Rock
    RickyDude wrote: The price is supposed to say 249.99 not 457.4817... dunno what happened there...
    They might have converted it to dollars? I was thinking about getting this, I can get it for 280 - but I dont know.
    RickyDude
    Having had it now for almost a month experimenting with the different combinations on the controls I have found several really sweet sounds. Personally I would say it is worth getting for 280 of course its down to you at the end of the day all depends on what music you play really, I have found a few good settings for playing songs from Metallica to the Chillies.
    RawGuitarist
    ^that's right. I used this amp today (a friend bought it a couple of days ago). It has a very nice clean tone, and the distortion is great. I'd say this is one of the greatest amps to start off with. The price is around 260,- in the Netherlands.
    roniisajick
    I've been really excited about getting the 30dfx version of this amp for about a week now, but i'm wondering if i should wait for another $100 to come my way and upgrade to this one. I don't play guitar too much, but i think i will after i get one of these amps. I guess, now that i think about it it might not be worth it for me, but i can't stop thinking that it's twice the power for $100!!!
    RickyDude
    The power I find i seriously worth that extra bit of dosh. Like I said up there I'd been playing with the Frontman for the last two years and 4 times the power really does blow you away!
    fleh
    so u know teice the power dusnt mean twice the perceived volume but what id be interested in is that the crossover from 30w to 60w goes from practice only to small gig-capeable. im totally stuck on what amp to buy myself. i like versatility but after owning a line6 spider im forever put off modelling amps so i might just go for the 60r