Edition Blue 60R review by Hughes & Kettner

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Hughes & Kettner: Edition Blue 60R

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend

I use an Epiphone Les Paul with a DiMarzio PAF151 in the bridge, an a Jay Turser telecaster with a Kent Armstrong pickup in the bridge. The clean channel, coupled with a little reverb and the neck pickup of my LP, produces a nice smooth, jazzy tone. This channel is also great with distortion pedals. The distortion channel (2), was great with both the tele and LP. With the bridge on the tele, with Drive about 1/3 up, produced a nice classic rock tone, while using the bridge pickup of the LP and Drive about halfway, with reverb cranked, produced a nice punk/hard rock sound. The clean channel breaks up at high volumes, with a nice soft tube-style crunch. This amp can pretty much do any type of music, save for death metal, and in that case you would be looking at Marshalls or Boogies anyway and not reading this review. Overall, a very versatile amp.

Again, I play jazz, hard rock, and punk. This amp is perfect for all of these, and any other style you want to play, save for brutal metal and all that screaming crap. I've played for around 6 years. I also own a Vox pathfinder, which I used to hook up to this for a bit of an edge, which I highly recommend. Doing so produced an almost perfect crunch reminiscent of 1977-era Mick Jones or early Led Zeppelin. I also own various effects, using using a DF-7 distortion factory, an Ibanez DE7 echo/delay, Rocktron Nitro booster, and Crybaby Wah. If it were stolen, I hope the guy Who did sat on the power Switch so he couldnt use it and would then feel like a moron for taking it. I would probably not buy it again, only because it barely has enough power for bigger gigs, and again b/c of the fragility issue. I love it's versatility, and this is a pretty decent amp for $200. However, I'm now going to get a tube amp for more power.

Now, this is where I have my complaints. I received this in September. Around early December, at a band practice I accidentally pushed the power Switch straight thru the circuit, effectively breaking the amp. I merely nudged it while sitting on it and all of sudden I have no sound, and can't change channels. But, I would still gig with this, but deff. bring a backup in case you forget and sit on this amp. If you take care of it, and are careful with it, it will serve you well. I've dropped it and it still played fine, until my fat @$$ sat on it.

This amp was made in 2006, I believe. I play jazz, punk, and hard rock and it suited all these styles quite fine. It is a 2 channel solid state amp. There are inputs for footswitch (not included), effects loop, and power in/out. I wish it came with a footswitch, b/c otherwise all you have is one little button to change channels, and during shows you don't always have time to do that. I played one show, at the Webster Theater, in Hartford with it. It had enough power, but I recommend getting a booster for solos, as you pretty much have to play it on full for it to cut through. There are knobs for volume on the clean channel, and gain, master controls on the distortion channel. Both channels share a 3 band EQ. There is also reverb, which is pretty sweet and rivals the Accousatronics found in Fender amps.