Edition Blue 60R Review

manufacturer: Hughes & Kettner date: 05/27/2010 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Hughes & Kettner: Edition Blue 60R
The Edition Blue 60R is the ideal workhorse for discerning players who want happening tone in a compact amp.
 Features: 8.5
 8.3
 8.5
 8,035
reviews (4) 7 comments vote for this gear:
Edition Blue 60R Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 13, 2007

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend

Features: This amp was made in 2006, I believe. I play jazz, punk, and hard rock and it suited all these styles quite fine. It is a 2 channel solid state amp. There are inputs for footswitch (not included), effects loop, and power in/out. I wish it came with a footswitch, b/c otherwise all you have is one little button to change channels, and during shows you don't always have time to do that. I played one show, at the Webster Theater, in Hartford with it. It had enough power, but I recommend getting a booster for solos, as you pretty much have to play it on full for it to cut through. There are knobs for volume on the clean channel, and gain, master controls on the distortion channel. Both channels share a 3 band EQ. There is also reverb, which is pretty sweet and rivals the Accousatronics found in Fender amps. // 8

Sound: I use an Epiphone Les Paul with a DiMarzio PAF151 in the bridge, an a Jay Turser telecaster with a Kent Armstrong pickup in the bridge. The clean channel, coupled with a little reverb and the neck pickup of my LP, produces a nice smooth, jazzy tone. This channel is also great with distortion pedals. The distortion channel (2), was great with both the tele and LP. With the bridge on the tele, with Drive about 1/3 up, produced a nice classic rock tone, while using the bridge pickup of the LP and Drive about halfway, with reverb cranked, produced a nice punk/hard rock sound. The clean channel breaks up at high volumes, with a nice soft tube-style crunch. This amp can pretty much do any type of music, save for death metal, and in that case you would be looking at Marshalls or Boogies anyway and not reading this review. Overall, a very versatile amp. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Now, this is where I have my complaints. I received this in September. Around early December, at a band practice I accidentally pushed the power Switch straight thru the circuit, effectively breaking the amp. I merely nudged it while sitting on it and all of sudden I have no sound, and can't change channels. But, I would still gig with this, but deff. bring a backup in case you forget and sit on this amp. If you take care of it, and are careful with it, it will serve you well. I've dropped it and it still played fine, until my fat @$$ sat on it. // 5

Overall Impression: Again, I play jazz, hard rock, and punk. This amp is perfect for all of these, and any other style you want to play, save for brutal metal and all that screaming crap. I've played for around 6 years. I also own a Vox pathfinder, which I used to hook up to this for a bit of an edge, which I highly recommend. Doing so produced an almost perfect crunch reminiscent of 1977-era Mick Jones or early Led Zeppelin. I also own various effects, using using a DF-7 distortion factory, an Ibanez DE7 echo/delay, Rocktron Nitro booster, and Crybaby Wah. If it were stolen, I hope the guy Who did sat on the power Switch so he couldnt use it and would then feel like a moron for taking it. I would probably not buy it again, only because it barely has enough power for bigger gigs, and again b/c of the fragility issue. I love it's versatility, and this is a pretty decent amp for $200. However, I'm now going to get a tube amp for more power. // 7

Edition Blue 60R Reviewed by: benjothebanjo, on april 16, 2007

Purchased from: noteworhty music

Features: This is a basic solid state 60 watt combo with 2 channels and reverb, but just because it's a basic amp, doesn't mean it's no good. this amp is one of the best combos to buy aslong as you have a overdrive/distortion stomp box that you are happy with. I only say this because this amps overdrive channel isn't up 2 much but on clean this amp kicks ass. I use a Ibanez Jetking 2, Tanglewood SG, Yamaha Super Strat guitar and a Telecaster project that I made and they all sound so sweet using this amp. // 9

Sound: I mainly use humbucker pickups in which this amp totally copes with the bad treatment I give it, for example; using two different overdrive pedals, cranking the volume up until it makes ringing noises in my ears, using it for more than 2-3 hours until it's really heated up but recently I've found a love for using single coil pickups that come with strats and tele's and this amp is still amazing. I could name nearly every genre of music and I would still say this amp suits them. This amp is really brilliant and I would tottaly gig this (obviously I would have to mic it up at big gigs as it's only a 60 watt but it would be worth it). // 10

Reliability & Durability: Well to be honest I would always bring a backup amp to a gig. Not that this amp would need it; it would just be typical and heartbraking if it failed or brokedown at a gig. But I could be certian that it wouldn't. The problem I've had with this amp is that I had it for two years and I've never realy cleaned the dust that it attractes around the input sockits and I think a little dust has got in them. I now have to jiggle the jack leads to get the proper sound out of it otherwise it goes all quiet (and it still sounds great). // 9

Overall Impression: I play many styles of music (grunge/metal/folk/country/hard rock/blues ect) and I don't think I would ever find a better amp suited to me for the money I paid. Much better than the Marshall 60-100 watt amps around for the same sort of money. If it were stolen I would have a look around to see if I could buy a better amp within the price range of 200-500 but I could nearly gaurentee that I would come home with some sort of Hughes And Kettner (probly the 60 edition blue). I just love the Vintage clean tone I get from it and I love even more the fuzzy distorted tone I get from it. I just wish it came with 2 12 inch speakers and a bit more power so I could gig it without running it throuh a p.a system. huges and kettner are a really underestimated brand and make really good quality amps for a reasonable price and great satifaction. if you can't afford a decent tube amp made by Vox or Orange, buy a Hughes Ann Kettner. Infact buy a Hughes And Kettner and save yourself some cash. // 10

Edition Blue 60R Reviewed by: mustangrobert13, on november 24, 2006

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: It was made in 2006. It's pretty loud. No distortion on it, but there is some sort of echo effect. It's a solid state. It has lights on the area with controls on it when it turned on, whihc it pretty awesome. Those are probably the only features besides it has 60 watts. It is also sort of heavy. // 8

Sound: It sounds great. There is no buzz except when you turn it on is makes sort of a liquid-sounding noise. I'm using a B.C. Rich ASM Platinum Pro Series with stock pickups and I sounds great. I don't even turn the volume up much so I woodn; t know how it sounds at high volumes. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp has never broken down. I would use it in any gig without a backup. It is very reliable, it has always worked when I wanted it to. I have no clue if it's durable I haven't abused it yet. The reliability & durability would be great. Reliablilty and drubailty is good. // 10

Overall Impression: I play anything and everything rock, and this amp is great for it. If it was lost, I would get it again because anything else this good cost a lot more. The only thing I don't like about it is the power switch it gets annoying turning it on and off. My overall impression was great, I've seen it in locl music stores for $350, but I got mine for $200. // 9

Edition Blue 60R Reviewed by: Equivalence, on may 27, 2010

Price paid: € 230

Purchased from: Feedback Utrecht

Features: This amp was made in China back in 2007. It weighs 13kg / 29lbs, is 60W and completely solid state. I play a variety of styles, ranging from classic rock to blues to punk, but I should say that I generally use the clean channel. The amp features two channels: a clean and a lead channel. Other features include: - Digital reverb (adjusts automatically when one switches between clean and lead channel - more for clean, less for lead), - 12" RockDriver Blue Speaker, - Bass, mid and treble controls, - One master volume plus individual volume knob for the lead channel, - Line in and out (for effects loop or PA system), - Footswitch to Switch between lead and clean, - Headphones jack, - A CD/tape input jack at the back. The effects loop is brilliant. I run a Boss Roland Space Echo RE50 through it and it works perfectly. It goes without saying that using any amp with headphones usually lays siege to your tone: the same goes for this amp. I use this amp in my bedroom and also for the occasional gig; it is loud enough for small-sized venues against a drummer and bass guitar, but I would recommend micing it up since the cleans break up at higher volumes. // 9

Sound: The clean channel is definitely the reason why I bought this amp. It starts to break up around 12 o'clock and can even get rather crunchy when you push the volume past 2/3 o'clock. I play a modded MIM 2009 Telecaster, usually paired up with a RAT distortion or a Boss SD-1 overdrive. The combined result is amazing: the clean tones are creamy and full or vintage/funky, depending on what EQ settings you are using. When the pedals kick in, this amp makes the guitar scream while still keeping that familiar Tele snap-sound intact. The lead channel on the other hand is far from amazing. It produces a very muddy sound at lower gain levels, and turning the gain knob past 11 o'clock already results in an unclear tone, making chord work close to impossible. I usually completely refrain from using it, preferring stompboxes instead. Needless to say, you'd need godly powers to get proper brutal distortion from this amp. The reverb is of decent quality, although it's barely audible with a distorted tone. You would need an additional reverb pedal when you're seeking church-esque echoes, but it does add a nice touch to the clean tone and certainly does the job for me. If it weren't for the lead channel I would rate the sound a 9 or possibly a 10, but I'm dropping the rating to an eight with a six for the lead channel. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've owned this amp for little over a year now, and I've noticed several slight issues during this time. My main complaint is that the lead channel once popped loudly and has been producing a soft high-pitched hissing noise ever since, but seeing that I rarely use it I can't say I'm too fussed about it (and it probably was my own fault). Another minor issue is that the mirror control plate on the top of the amp attracts a lot of dust, but it's nothing regular cleaning can't handle. I've used this amp for an outdoors theatre show. It stood there for a couple of hours in the damp afternoon air, yet it still works perfectly. On a side note: I once accidentally spilled a tiny bit of sand over the control knobs, and nothing at all was wrong with them. All in all, this amp is built like a fortress and can withstand quite a bit of abuse. // 8

Overall Impression: The country of origin might raise suspicion amongst some of you, but let me assure you that the quality does not justify any bias. There is a good chance that I would buy this amp again if it were stolen, although I would possibly buy a tube amp instead. The clean channel is magnificent and remains the best feature of this amp. At the time I bought it I compared it to a Vox VT50 and a Roland Cube 30X, but the clean tone of the Hughes&Kettner was enough to convince me. If you ever spot it in a store, be sure to try it out: you'll be surprised by its sound quality given that it's fully solid state; I definitely was. // 9

Comments