Edition Tube 20th Anniversary review by Hughes & Kettner

Hughes & Kettner: Edition Tube 20th Anniversary

Purchased from: eBay

I use an Epiphone Les Paul Custom with stock pups directly to this amp. The cleans shimmmer with a warmth that you can only expect from a tube amp. The EQ is really responsive in producing a wide array of tonal ranges from sharp fenderish tones to warm bluesy sounds. I've tried going till 12 O'clock on the clean volume (which is very loud for apartment levels). The amp just refuses to buzz or budge, just the furniture starts to shiver. The lead channel is another beast altogether. Played between 1/5ths to one half of the volume, you can go from punchy overdrives to crushing distortions fiddling with the gain knob. Over that volume, I have no idea. The distortion is still not enough for metal, you might want a pedal for that. The sustain on this thing is something I drool over. I play a note at normal volume and the note stays with my finger waiting for it to flinch. Sweet!

I mostly play '80s, '90s rock and metal (not too heavy). I've been playing for around 5 years now and own a shitty Behringer and a Zoom pedal (cool thing for recording). For that classic overdrive/distortion sound, this amp is almost there. The best thing I like about this amp is it's clean channel. It gives me a clean slate which I can color with sounds of my choice. I doesn't offer much in features but more than covers it up with it's performance.

I have had the amp for just about two weeks now. I got it off ebay from a guy who got it as a trade in. Is supposedly new, with it being played only for testing purposes. Really no way for me to rate it's reliability. However, you never gig without a backup, do you?

Here is a 20 watt all tube combo from H&K. The preamp has 12AX7's and the power section has EL84's. Two channels, clean and lead. Common EQ controls for both of them. Effects loop, reverb and footswitch input for selecting channels (footswitch not included though). All-in all, features-wise not the most versatile one you would find.