Edition Tube 20th Anniversary review by Hughes & Kettner

Hughes & Kettner: Edition Tube 20th Anniversary

Purchased from: Local Shop

Clean Channel is nice and clean, but starts to break up at about the 2/3 mark on the volume if the EQ knobs are over the 50% mark. Fairly a bright clean and very nice. I think the nastiest you'll get this channel is a smooth Bluesy sound at best, but not harsh. Just a nice bite. Dirty Channel is really a suprise. I replaced the tubes with some JJ's and it opened it up a little bit. I haven't really swapped tubes to look for better, but it shines. You can go from a nice chunky overdrive with bite all the way to a good Metal crunch. Nothing to crazy, but it's great for leads and squeals. Good channel, but can be a little dark and low. The JJ's gave it a little more in the mids and opened it up a little bit more. Sounds good though. Reverb is decent, but don't expect anything amazing if you're a reverb nut. It adds a little depth, but not very transparent the higher you go with it. Not my favorite reverb, but alright. Great amp for those bedroom rockers, but still loud enough to hang with a moderate level drummer. I eventually swapped out the speaker for a Eminence Red Coat Governor for the mids and British flavor I'm looking for and it opened it up a little more. Sounds great now! The effects loop works great and is very transparent and if you throw a 10 band EQ in there it really opens you up to a world of opportunities in your tone and range! I dig it! But in her stock form she gets an 8, which is nice. She loves pedals, too.

I'm a Metal head (80's and 90's stuff mostly and some classic rock, too) so this isn't the best choice for me, but most of the local spots I play in are starting to mic the amps we play and if you play a 100 watt tube amp, you'll sound like snot with the amps set on 1 or 2. You've got to crank a tube amp to about that half way mark to get the tube's into the mix. So this size amp makes me sound like a champ once again! I use a few pedals and have a mic mounted to it. It weighs about 20 pounds or so and it's perfect for the gigging musician now. Light and portable! I bought it for their reputation mostly. I can change tubes, speakers and/or use pedals if I ain't pleased with the overall sound. Great price, quality and features for a working man's amp, and a bedroom rocker! I'm not giving anything a 10, unless I have a signature amp built just for me!

It's a Hughes & Kettner, so they build it 'em like their tanks, man! I've had it opened a few times and the quality is outstanding No Doubt and they used some high quality parts, too. Very well made and no worries here. I've had it for about 6 months now and have had no problems.

Flyby8
    Is it loud enough for rehearsals in a small room? I mean, does it match the drums?
    Flyby8
    Cause I had a 30W Orange solid state amp and it wasn't enough.
    minguimore
    It is loud enough to rehearse and to play any gig!!! I've been playnig with it for three years, in small pubs and in big concerts and I never use more than half the volume. I play in a Classic ROCK BAND, and I am de Lead guitarrist. It sounds clear over a rythm guitar, a keyboard, a Bass and a HUGE drum (a Spaun one). You don't need anything else...