Edition Tube 20th Anniversary review by Hughes & Kettner

• Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
Hughes & Kettner: Edition Tube 20th Anniversary

Price paid: € 389

Purchased from: thomann.de

This amp sounds like a beast! The cleans are remarkable, glassy, crystal clear cleans, and the distortion is so fat and beefy it'll shake the fillings from your teeth. Unfortunately, I found it to sound horrible and unusable. I play mainly classic rock, and the amp way waaaay too overdriven for my playing style. I never had the gain past about 3, and that meant the amp was generally too quiet when I was playing a gig un-miced or in rehersal. I will say in it's defense, playing lead through the OD channel was a beautiful experience, every note would sound distinct and clear.

The guy I sent the amp onto in the end absolutely loved it, so I was happy for him, plus I ended up with a sweet sounding classic rock monster. I suppose it was a learning experience, as I wouldn't be so quick to pounce on gear without buying it any more. Overall, this didn't suit me at all, but IF you play modern metal, with really rounded distortion, perfect, cutting lead, and gorgeous cleans, it will probably be perfect for you, but it is not suitable for classic rock at all.

Poor. I tried to sell the amp after I'd had it for a few months as we just didn't match, and when I drove to the guy who was buying it (2 hours away!), the amp sounded blown. I took it home and had a poke inside, and saw that some resistors has managed to loose themselves from the circuit board. I re-soldered it back into place, and eventually sold it to someone else, however, this person rang me within 2 days to say the amp had crapped out again. I sent it back to Thomann, who in turn sent it back to H&K, who repaired and re-tubed it. Granted the repairs were free and the amp sounded fine, but I just wanted to be rid of it.

THIS REVIEW IS FOR THE 25TH EDITION TUBE, basically the same as the 20th, but released 5 years later. This is a 2 channel 20 watt RMS tube amp. The channels are switchable via a seperate footswitch. It comes with a FX loop and a shared 3 band eq. One design flaw is that the tubes are inacessable, so if you ever need to change them, you have to unscrew about 15 screws, then remove the circuit board to get at them. No small task!

rv_phoenix
    Flyby8 wrote: Cause I had a 30W Orange solid state amp and it wasn't enough.
    30 W of solid state mean only about 7-8W of all-tube. Of course it's not enough. This one is enough for rehearsing. And gigging in small venues. If the drummer tries to cover you, then you can mic it and then the fight is over.