Edition Tube 20th Anniversary Review

manufacturer: Hughes & Kettner date: 10/17/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Hughes & Kettner: Edition Tube 20th Anniversary
Compact and easy to handle, this mighty mite serves up big inspiring tone you wouldn?t expect from a combo this small! Its two channels cover the full spectrum from vintage clean to bluesapproved crunch and rock lead cream. Edition Tube delivers the goods with authority and quality persuasive enough to convince hardline purists.
 8.6
 7.4
 9.7
 11,640
reviews (3) 5 comments vote for this gear:
Edition Tube 20th Anniversary Reviewed by: dudeonguitar, on august 21, 2006

Purchased from: eBay

Features: Here is a 20 watt all tube combo from H&K. The preamp has 12AX7's and the power section has EL84's. Two channels, clean and lead. Common EQ controls for both of them. Effects loop, reverb and footswitch input for selecting channels (footswitch not included though). All-in all, features-wise not the most versatile one you would find. // 8

Sound: I use an Epiphone Les Paul Custom with stock pups directly to this amp. The cleans shimmmer with a warmth that you can only expect from a tube amp. The EQ is really responsive in producing a wide array of tonal ranges from sharp fenderish tones to warm bluesy sounds. I've tried going till 12 O'clock on the clean volume (which is very loud for apartment levels). The amp just refuses to buzz or budge, just the furniture starts to shiver. The lead channel is another beast altogether. Played between 1/5ths to one half of the volume, you can go from punchy overdrives to crushing distortions fiddling with the gain knob. Over that volume, I have no idea. The distortion is still not enough for metal, you might want a pedal for that. The sustain on this thing is something I drool over. I play a note at normal volume and the note stays with my finger waiting for it to flinch. Sweet! // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have had the amp for just about two weeks now. I got it off ebay from a guy who got it as a trade in. Is supposedly new, with it being played only for testing purposes. Really no way for me to rate it's reliability. However, you never gig without a backup, do you? // 8

Overall Impression: I mostly play '80s, '90s rock and metal (not too heavy). I've been playing for around 5 years now and own a shitty Behringer and a Zoom pedal (cool thing for recording). For that classic overdrive/distortion sound, this amp is almost there. The best thing I like about this amp is it's clean channel. It gives me a clean slate which I can color with sounds of my choice. I doesn't offer much in features but more than covers it up with it's performance. // 9

Edition Tube 20th Anniversary Reviewed by: handsofmetal, on june 21, 2007

Purchased from: Local Shop

Sound: Clean Channel is nice and clean, but starts to break up at about the 2/3 mark on the volume if the EQ knobs are over the 50% mark. Fairly a bright clean and very nice. I think the nastiest you'll get this channel is a smooth Bluesy sound at best, but not harsh. Just a nice bite. Dirty Channel is really a suprise. I replaced the tubes with some JJ's and it opened it up a little bit. I haven't really swapped tubes to look for better, but it shines. You can go from a nice chunky overdrive with bite all the way to a good Metal crunch. Nothing to crazy, but it's great for leads and squeals. Good channel, but can be a little dark and low. The JJ's gave it a little more in the mids and opened it up a little bit more. Sounds good though. Reverb is decent, but don't expect anything amazing if you're a reverb nut. It adds a little depth, but not very transparent the higher you go with it. Not my favorite reverb, but alright. Great amp for those bedroom rockers, but still loud enough to hang with a moderate level drummer. I eventually swapped out the speaker for a Eminence Red Coat Governor for the mids and British flavor I'm looking for and it opened it up a little more. Sounds great now! The effects loop works great and is very transparent and if you throw a 10 band EQ in there it really opens you up to a world of opportunities in your tone and range! I dig it! But in her stock form she gets an 8, which is nice. She loves pedals, too. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's a Hughes & Kettner, so they build it 'em like their tanks, man! I've had it opened a few times and the quality is outstanding No Doubt and they used some high quality parts, too. Very well made and no worries here. I've had it for about 6 months now and have had no problems. // 9

Overall Impression: I'm a Metal head (80's and 90's stuff mostly and some classic rock, too) so this isn't the best choice for me, but most of the local spots I play in are starting to mic the amps we play and if you play a 100 watt tube amp, you'll sound like snot with the amps set on 1 or 2. You've got to crank a tube amp to about that half way mark to get the tube's into the mix. So this size amp makes me sound like a champ once again! I use a few pedals and have a mic mounted to it. It weighs about 20 pounds or so and it's perfect for the gigging musician now. Light and portable! I bought it for their reputation mostly. I can change tubes, speakers and/or use pedals if I ain't pleased with the overall sound. Great price, quality and features for a working man's amp, and a bedroom rocker! I'm not giving anything a 10, unless I have a signature amp built just for me! // 8

Edition Tube 20th Anniversary Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 17, 2011

Price paid: € 389

Purchased from: thomann.de

Features: THIS REVIEW IS FOR THE 25TH EDITION TUBE, basically the same as the 20th, but released 5 years later. This is a 2 channel 20 watt RMS tube amp. The channels are switchable via a seperate footswitch. It comes with a FX loop and a shared 3 band eq. One design flaw is that the tubes are inacessable, so if you ever need to change them, you have to unscrew about 15 screws, then remove the circuit board to get at them. No small task! // 6

Sound: This amp sounds like a beast! The cleans are remarkable, glassy, crystal clear cleans, and the distortion is so fat and beefy it'll shake the fillings from your teeth. Unfortunately, I found it to sound horrible and unusable. I play mainly classic rock, and the amp way waaaay too overdriven for my playing style. I never had the gain past about 3, and that meant the amp was generally too quiet when I was playing a gig un-miced or in rehersal. I will say in it's defense, playing lead through the OD channel was a beautiful experience, every note would sound distinct and clear. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Poor. I tried to sell the amp after I'd had it for a few months as we just didn't match, and when I drove to the guy who was buying it (2 hours away!), the amp sounded blown. I took it home and had a poke inside, and saw that some resistors has managed to loose themselves from the circuit board. I re-soldered it back into place, and eventually sold it to someone else, however, this person rang me within 2 days to say the amp had crapped out again. I sent it back to Thomann, who in turn sent it back to H&K, who repaired and re-tubed it. Granted the repairs were free and the amp sounded fine, but I just wanted to be rid of it. // 4

Overall Impression: The guy I sent the amp onto in the end absolutely loved it, so I was happy for him, plus I ended up with a sweet sounding classic rock monster. I suppose it was a learning experience, as I wouldn't be so quick to pounce on gear without buying it any more. Overall, this didn't suit me at all, but IF you play modern metal, with really rounded distortion, perfect, cutting lead, and gorgeous cleans, it will probably be perfect for you, but it is not suitable for classic rock at all. // 5

Comments