Trilogy Head Review

manufacturer: Hughes & Kettner date: 02/01/2007 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Hughes & Kettner: Trilogy Head
Providing plenty of flexibility to keep any pro player happy, this prized amp covers all the bases for all styles of music.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 6,654
reviews (2) pictures (1) 15 comments vote for this gear:
Trilogy Head Reviewed by: JamesKirtlan, on february 01, 2007

Purchased from: Guitar.co.uk

Features: This is my first review so give me some slack. This amp is just amazing. 4 tubes of 100 watt power. It has 3 channels, even though the website says it has four channels it realy only has 3, but each has a Switch which boosts the power ("sparkle" for the clean channel, "boost" for the crunch and "ultra" for the lead). Each of these channels sounds great and the addition of the boost I can get for each makes each channel that little more crisper and brighter. The amp came with a 4 channel selector Switch which changes betweent the clean, crunch, lead and ultra which is a nice touch. I do have a couple of complaints though, for one thing there is no controls to modify the ultra "channel" aside from changing the gain (the EQ stays the same as the lead Channel), I would love to have more control over the tone of this and also I realy wish there was a way to turn on the sparkle and boost modes on the footswitch it came with so I don't have to go to my amp and push the button myself. I use this amp for mainly playing metal and it does this great, it just sounds huge even at low volumes. // 9

Sound: I've played this amp useing a Jackson RR5, Rickenbacker 600 and an Epiphone Les Paul Custom and with each one the amp sounds brutal, it even makes the les paul sound amazing. the clean channel just sounds realy smooth and gentle, when the sparkle switch is pressed it brings up the high end and makes it sound more bright and lively. the crunch channel does just what it says on the tin, gives you a great low end crunch and the boost switch gives it that little but extra gain which is useful for when a chorus kicks in. Both lead and ultra modes are amazing for metal. I have found that the lead channel works well for metal riffs and big shredding solos, but personaly I kick in the ultra button for the big rough riffs as it brings up all the gain I could ever want and also brings up the bottom end giving it good low end, ass shattering, crunch. this amp just sounds great, I wish you all had one. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've had no problems with reliability or durability, I've cranked it up loud and it just keeps wanting more, I don't think this thing will ever break as long as I look after it. I would definitly gig without a backup (just so long as I knew the tubes werent about 2 die). // 9

Overall Impression: I play mainly metal and this amp just leaves me speachless, ever since I saw amon amarth play in england I've been wanting one of these amps. This amp is almost perfection (only real fault is me being picky ha ha). If it was stolen I would hunt down that son of a whore and kill him wildly then his family. I love this amp so much. I could be moving 2 canada soon and this is one of the amps I am definitly taking with me. // 10

Trilogy Head Reviewed by: Jaredmkl, on march 09, 2011

Purchased from: Maytan Music Center

Features: 100 watts of EL34 tube power. 3 channels, each with a switchable boost on each channel. Clean is awesome, it's even better with the sparkle switch. Crunch is good for an ac/dc sound, add the boost and it can do anything from Iron Maiden to UnderOath. Lead and Ultra Share the same EQ and separate gains. They sound the same except Ultra has more bass and gain for chugging. Ultra gets an awesome Killswitch Engage sound. It has a master volume, presence, and a master knob in the master section. The effects loop can be assigned to channels. It's foot Switch has clean/crunch/lead/ultra. It's loud! I'm fairly certain it's louder then a dual rec. // 8

Sound: I have a Ibby RGA32 with Blackouts, this amp screams with actives. My Schecter has bad pups, but it sounded good with passives, so I'm going to put some high out put Dimarzio's in it. This thing can do any form of rock, to any form of metal. It isn't the gainiest head around though, so some might find it to need a boost. I mostly play southern metal core so it has the perfect amount of gain. The only thing is it is noisy when your not playing. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had a problem. // 10

Overall Impression: This is perfect for Killswitch Engage style metal core to southern metal core like Everytime I Die. But it can cover all forms of rock and metal. I run it into a mesa 4 x 12 rectifier cab. Idk if I would get this if it was stolen, I got it at an amazing deal and If I needed a new head I'd get an Engl Powerball II. It's great though, it's worth trying. I really love it, it sounds great. Go try one. // 9

Comments