Warp 7 212 Review

manufacturer: Hughes & Kettner date: 03/19/2013 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Hughes & Kettner: Warp 7 212
Easy to tote and handle, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to dial in monster sounds. Handling bowel-shaking 100 watts of pure power, the 12" Celestion speaker is specially tuned to pump out low-end oomph.
 Features: 8.5
 9.4
 8.5
 9,539
reviews (2) pictures (2) 4 comments vote for this gear:
Warp 7 212 Reviewed by: Ill Nino rules, on december 03, 2005

Purchased from: Musicstore - Cologne

Features: The Hughes & Ketnner Warp 7 212 is a very good transistor combo amp for heavy music and downtuned guitars. It has 100 Watts and 2 12" speakers in a huge housing. It's also available with 1 speaker (Warp 7 112). It has 2 channels (clean and warp). The warp channel is a really heavy overdrive with fat basses and screamings trebles. It's perfect for NuMetal and Metal. You can switch the channels with a footswitch (comes with the amp). The amp hasn't gotany features you don't need, but the features it has, are more than satisfying for this price range. I use the amp in my band, and with the volume at half it is more than loud enough for practising. It's even big enough for smaller to middle-sized stages, and you can add another speakerbox and a poweramp to it. For practising at home, it has a headphone jack. // 8

Sound: I played it with an Ibanez GRX 70 with EMG 81 humbuckers. This metalguitar combines with the amp has a power that you would never expect from a combo amp. The warp channel has a brutal, heayvy distorted sound with excellent basses. The mids can sound a little muddy when you turn up the volume to 3/4, but that's barely recognizeable. The clean channel is pretty good as well. At very high volume it sounds slightly distorted. With full volume, bass and treble the combo is far too loud for playing at home, and certainly loud enough for smaller gigs. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The amp is very reliable. It never broke down, and I sometimes use it 5 hours a day. This durability comes from the brutal noise it can make. You never have to push the amp to it's borders. I would play (and have played) smaller gigs with this amp and it never let me down. It will be your best friend. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal (in my band) and the amp fits perfectly to thisn style of music, as it was specially designed for it. I played this amp for 3 month now, combined with my Ibanez GRX70 with EMG 81 pickups. Everybody can handle the amp, it's easy to get along with the knobs and the footswitch. I would certainly buy this amp again, if I am still interested in metal then. For people who play more classic rock, this amp is the wrong choice, but for people who like hard music, this amp is the first choice. The only thing that I could criticize is, that it is so big and heavy, but that's the problem with every halfstack and big 2speaker combos. Summed up, this amp is perfect for people who want a great amp for heavy music for a great price. // 10

Warp 7 212 Reviewed by: Valentine109, on march 19, 2013

Price paid: A$ 300

Features: The Warp 7 212 is a Solid State amplifier from Hughes and Kettner. I'm not very sure when the amp was made, my best guess would be circa 2000. The amp isn't really designed for much else from metal, but the clean tone is nice, and you can work in some lower overdrive tones if you play with it. It has an effects loop, headphone jack as well as a channel switcher. (I've only really had the chance to test the headphone jack). It would be nice if more effects were on board, but it isn't too much of a problem. A reverb effect wouldn't go amiss, but hey, it isn't a modeling amp so I can't really complain. // 9

Sound: This is where the amp really shines for modern metal players. It provides a deep low tone with which you can feel every note as you play. I use both a B.C. Rich Draco and an Ibanez RG7321 with this amplifier, and with both, I can get a very good low tone. My preference is to use a Boss ML-2 Metal Core as opposed to the on-board sound settings, but with either one, I can achieve a low tone (I still prefer the pedal). It can be seriously loud, I can generally have it between one and two and I will have trouble hearing other people (Note that that is mainly in small rooms though) and when I am at band practice, it is more than easily heard among the others. With the clear tone, it occasionally distorts on the higher tones, and as expected, there is background noise when on the distorted channel, unless you are using a noise suppressor on the effects loop. The overall volume is loud so it is great for gigs, the amp was sold for to me because the owner couldn't keep it because it was too loud and his neighbors would complain every time he tried to play on it. The overall sound is brilliant and with plenty of low end for that serious punch. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This amp is a beast generally. It's really quite reliable and I would have no problem playing without a back up. The worst that has happened to it is that at some point, the channel switcher seems to have broken and it won't switch the channels properly. The amp has also taken a few hits and it has survived without a problem. The amp has also survived being left in the car (i.e. it's been raining, then I didn't have the opportunity to get it out the next morning, so it got a little car ride to work). Overall I trust this amp, it is tough and reliable. // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this amp is that it is a great amplifier and easily worth the money that I payed for it. If it was stolen I would happily purchase another one. I love the reliability, the power and the low end that the amplifier provides, but I do with that it had more effects. I would more than happily recommend this amplifier to any player for a low tone, modern metal sound. It is great when combined with either extended range or down tuned guitars, and if set right, can be a fairly versatile guitar. Video from YouTube:

// 10