GTA 10 review by Ibanez

• Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Ibanez: GTA 10

I play mostly metal. To obtain an half-decent clean I usually turn down the gain knob to 2/10 and the volume knob from the half to maximum power (practicing in my bedroom). So the volume is good for a 10W amp, but don't expect you can use it well in bigger rooms. As I said before, the clean is just half-decent, it is not a soft or brilliant sound. Besides having to adjust 2 knobs to Switch from distorted to clean, I also have to select my neck pickup to obtain a clearer sound. The distorted sound is better than clean in my opinion, nothing special by the way, but you can play metal with it. Like with the clean sound, I have to change pickup, this time selecting my bridge humbucker, otherwise I am not able to produce a decent metal distortion. Along with my Ibanez-GIO guitar, I own a Jackson RR24M, guitar with only one EMG-81 active bridge pickup. I once plugged it in my GTA10 and I remember I could not get a clean with it (but plugging it in my Peavey Vypyr 30W amplifier, the clean is awesome). Sometimes the amplifier produces a constant buzz but I am not able to hear it, unless I leave my guitar plugged in without playing and the amp is still powered on. Ah, my guitar teacher says that if you would plug the guitar in a television or radio, it would sound better.

So let's do a final list of advantages and disadvantages: Advantages: - Portable, small and light-weight - Very affordable - Durable Disadvantages: - No features except the basic ones - Only 1 channel - Quite poor sound The GTA10 can't compete in any way against my Peavey Vypyr. The only advantage compared to the Vypyr is its durability and portability. But I have sincerely nothing to complain about it, the Vypyr 30W costs 10 times more! After all, the GTA10 is good for beginners and people who does not need anything except something to plug the guitar in and play, without any more claim. For its price range, the lowest one for amps, it is a good amplifier.

Owning a wonderful Peavey Vypyr 30W, I use the GTA10 rarely. For example, thanks to its size and light weight I was able to carry it in a suitcase and taking it with me by airplane. After the trip, some stuff in the suitcase was all messed around, I guess they didn't treat it so well, like the soap was all scattered. The GTA10 lost one of the knobs, but I was able to put it back in position in few seconds and now it's like before. I didn't notice other damages, and owning this amplifier for about 1 year and half, I think that being so simple, it shouldn't be so easy to break down. I also unintentionally dropped it from my desk to the floor while playing, it happened more than once but no damages.

The Ibanez GTA10 is a small and cheap amplifier; it came in the beginner-pack I had when starting playing guitar, along with my Ibanez-GIO guitar. It's a 10 Watts amplifier and it has got few features: 1 channel, 5 control knobs(Gain, Bass, Middle, Treble, Volume), jack input and phones input. Since it has got 1 channel only, to Switch between clean and distorted you have to adjust the volume and the gain each time. It is a good amplifier for beginners and is easy to carry around. It is very cheap (usually less than 30 $) and the volume is good for playing in your bedroom. Regarding the music styles this amplifier can do, well, it is just a portable practice amplifier for beginners. It does no music style well but it is normal for such an amp.

Vabolo
    For some reason, I believe that the fact that its name is reminiscent to that of a popular video game helps selling it to younger guitar players who only have to choose between a couple of cheap amplifiers.
    Rekouz
    I also bought the Ibanez startpack. It is very nice for beginners and I solved the 1 chanel problem buying a Boss MT-2. Now I have the gain in 4, so if I want a "decent" clean tone I use the middle pick-up without the pedal. The distortion in this amp with the Mt-2 is nice. Anyway, I normally play with a 65w Crate (really nice btw).