IBZ10 review by Ibanez

• Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Ibanez: IBZ10

Purchased from: friend

I use my HSS affinity Squier with this amp. it's pretty noisy, with the gain at 5, even when I use the humbucker. I play metal (80's Metallica, meshuggah, Opeth, dethklok, Dream Theater, pantera etc) with my bridge pickup and play blues (SRV kind of stuff) with one of the single coils on a low gain setting. the distortion on this amp is extremely fuzzy sounding. the bass sounds ok when it's over 7 at least, the mids are projected decently, but the highs are way too harsh, causing the fuzziness. it sounds kinda like dimebags CFH tone, and I mean that in a bad way. I make it sound a little better by putting the master volume fairly high, the treble around 6 or 7, and I put a pillow over the amp, which makes the treble sound less harsh. my settings for this distorted sound btw are gain at 5, bass at 9, mids at 6, and treble at 7 (but they sound more like theyr at 3 because of the pillow). It's got lots of fizzy gain though, so not enough gain wouldn't be a problem. the cleans are decent, but even at the lowest of volumes, if you listen closely, you can hear some speaker clipping and that sounds pretty bad. another note, the clean channel doesnt't't take distortion stompboxes well, and once my friend ran his DS-1 into it and it sounded just as bad as the amps distortion. then again, this is a $60 amp, and if ur on that low of a budget, you shouldn't even really care about the sound.

I guess it's somewhat suited to metal players. I've been playing for 9 months, and it's my only amp, but I'm hoping to get a tube combo soon. I didn't really have a choice of amps to buy, I bought this from someone I know who had a much better amp so he sold it to me for just $25, I guess it was worth it. If it was stolen or lost, it wouldn't be a big deal, seeing as I plan on getting a new amp soon. But if you need a portable amp and are on a tight budget, this is not a bad option. If ur looking for your first amp though, I would save up the extra $40 and take a Roland cube.

I've never had any problems with the amp breaking down or anything like that, but then again, I only really play at low volumes. I would not gig with it, because I would have to turn it all the way up (if it was loud enough) and that would be terrible.

I got my IBZ10 for $25 from a guy, but new it would be 60 incase your wondering. I guess it's versatile enough, it's got the gain I need. it has a boost button, which turns on distortion, but I don't know if that counts as two channels. headphones jack (sounds like crap but it's there), no effects loop, and no footswitch jack, which doesnt't really matter since it's just a 10w practice amp. I don't think it would be great for rehearsing with a band, but it works for practicing at home, and that's all I do atm. it's solid state, as you may have guessed, one speaker, and one 3 band EQ.