TBX15R review by Ibanez

Ibanez: TBX15R

Purchased from: musiciansfriend.com

I use a Ibanez GRX20 electric guitar that has stock pickups (power sound 1&2). This amp suits my music style which is mostly thrash metal perfectly. Its never noisy unless you turn up the gain REALLY high on the clean channel but if you do that you want that noise for a good old school overdriven sound. Its also noisy if you have high gain and high volume on the dirty channel. The clean doesn't break up at high volumes. The distortion can be pretty brutal you just have to get the settings right on the EQ. It can do a mild crunch to bass filled angry distortion a to ice pick trebly bite.

I play metal and this amp is a perfect match. I've been playing 1 year and I also own a MXR mc-404 mae wah pedal and a Danelectro Cool Cat metal II distortion pedal. If it were stolen I would probably buy another amp with more power to play some gigs with, but if you just want a practice amp this is great. I love that you can choose the frequency and that there is a gain knob on the clean channel There is really nothing to hate about this amp.

Yes you can definitely depend on this amp it has never given me any trouble at all. Its small to do any real gigging with but I have took it to play in front of 15 people in a small room with out a back up before and its always worked perfectly.

This amp is pretty versatile but its perfect for my styles which are all types of metal. It can do rock no problem and you can even get some decent blues tones out of it. It has two channels: clean and distortion both channels have a gain knob, which is cool because you can turn the gain up on the clean channel and get a great Vintage sounding break up. It also has decent reverb and all the usually EQ and a frequency knob which can really shape you sounds. Its solid state and its perfect for playing in a bedroom or garage but not really powerful enough for a gig.