TBX30R review by Ibanez

Ibanez: TBX30R

Price paid: € 149

Purchased from: Bam Music Center

I'm using it with the Ibanez GRX40 with STD-S1/S2 singlecoil pickups and a STD-H3 Hambucker bridge pickup and its working out great so far. It maybe lacks the warm sound you would get from a Crate or Marshall so its best for the metal type of playing and less suitable for blues and RN'R. Apart from being somewhat lacking in the blues section it can basicly cover all the sounds I choose. Anythig from hard rock, metal, country etc., this amp can handle it. The sound stay clean even at the highest volumes and it has pretty nice distortion that isnt too brutal if you set the gain control to maximum, which is in my eyes a plus but if you really like hardcore distortion it can be a bit lacking sometimes.

This amp is THE amp to buy for metal and still a fairly good amp for warmer styles like blues. I have been playing for around 2 years and this amp is the far most durable among those that I have used. I only wish I had asked how long the power cable is so I would bought longer one. If it were stolen or lost I would probably decide to buy a new one unless if I would have the money available for a Marshall, VOX, Crate... I really love its simplicity and ease of usage. I don't hate anything about it. My favourite feature is the really easy to use channel switch. I compared it to a 30 watt Vox amp and a Ibanez MIMX 30 and in my eyes this amp was the definite alternative as the Vox wasn't loud enough and the MIMX30 had an really digital sound. Before I bought it I wished it had effects but than I reallized that if I buy this amp with a multieffects pedal it would cost me exactly the same if I bought an Ibanez amp with the same power and effects so I decided to buy the TBX30 and a multieffects pedal and I don't regret it one bit. And my opinion: THIS AMP WILL BREAK DOWN THE DAY THAT PIGS FLY.

I can definitely cepend on it. It has never brocken down and the hardware is really heavy duty. It's is still in perfect condition as the day I bought it even though I droped it on the floor a couple of times. It has never needed servicing. All the jacks are in perfect shape and maybe the only problem with it is that the power cable that came with it is a bit short for my taste (1,5 m). Putting this small detail aside its the most reliable amp among those that I have seen.

I bought my amp from a local music store as a first step away from the practice amp I got with my starter pack.It is a typical 30 watt solid state practice amp with the Ibanez high quality. I mostly play rock, RN'R, blues and it pretty much works well for all styles of play. It is what I would call an allround amp. It has 2 channels - Normal and Hot. You can adjust the Treble, Medium, Bass, Reverb, EQ Level (not for each channel) and Gain + Volume for each of the two channels. It also has a MP3/CD jack that I find very usefull if I want to Jam to my own music. Next it has a headphone jack and pedal jack. I sometimes wish it had effects but I compensated for that by buying a cheap multieffects pedal that is working just great with the amp so far. I use the amp for home practice and for small band practice. It definetly doesn't have enough power for large gigs.