TSA15H review by Ibanez

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Sound: 10
  • Overall Impression: 10
  • Reliability & Durability: 9
  • Features: 8
  • Reviewer's score: 9.3 Superb
  • Users' score: 8.2 (12 votes)
Ibanez: TSA15H
0

Price paid: € 289

Purchased from: Thomann.de

Sound — 10
A warm beautiful sound. The distortion affects it to 99% in usal TS-Skill. Anybody who needs 110% distortion of an Engl or a Mesa for Metal have to buy an extra pedal. For me it's the typical blues/classic rock amp which I was searching for. Greetings from Bonamassa, SRV, Skynyrd and CCR! Dynamic is also available! Hard strokes and a humbucker will give some distortion to the clean channel. Soft strokes and a single coil will supply the crispy strat-sound.

Overall Impression — 10
If it is stolen, I would definitely buy another one of these great amps. If there is more free area in my bed, this amp will lay next to me. For my occasional metal trips there have to be an extra distortion pedal, also for reverb. That's absolutely ok for that price/performance ratio! With a 4x12 cab it is loud enough. With the fitting 1x12 from Ibanez I can not share experiences, maybe in the future. Tested with Ibanez SZ520 (Humbucker), Godin Progression (Single-coils) and Hughes & Kettner 100w 4x12 Cab.

Reliability & Durability — 9
I did not transport in on the road for a long time, just playing at home and rehearsal room. For the last 4 months there had been no problems. I am very carefully. I do not throw it or similar. But let me know if you have something like this. Only 9 points because the test time was not so long.

Features — 8
First of all, the Tubescreamer is legendary for it's sound. That's what I can confirm now! Warm clean tube sound absolutely according to my preference. For playing at home it's a very beautiful head due to the creme colour it fits to every living room. For playing in a rehearsal room in combination with a 4x12 cabinet it is sufficient, too. I had doubts, but I can assure TSA15H + 4x12 keeps up with loud drummer. The power of a tube should not be underrated! Well, you can switch between 5 and 15w. Effect loop also available. Everybody who needs reverb is not happy with it, because it has no. Even if in my opinion the solution with one poti of other amps offers no big possibilities of reverb. For me it was no reason to do not buy it. The footswitch needs to be paid extra, too. And the boost can not be changed. That's what is reducing the rating points.

8 comments sorted by best / new / date

    MaggaraMarine
    Anybody who needs 110% distortion of an Engl or a Mesa for Metal have to buy an extra pedal.
    I have tried an Engl Screamer and it had so much gain when the gain was cranked that I don't get how somebody would need that much of gain. It was pretty muddy and feedbacked all the time. It's not about how much gain you have, it's about the sound. When you max the gain the amp usually gets incredibly muddy. The amount of gain doesn't change the sound. It sounds the same with lower gain. You just need to tweak the EQ to get the metal sound.
    MrKnister
    MaggaraMarine wrote: When you max the gain the amp usually gets incredibly muddy. The amount of gain doesn't change the sound. It sounds the same with lower gain. You just need to tweak the EQ to get the metal sound.
    Ok, changing EQ is also necessary to get metal sound. But more or less gain changes the sound More or less of anything changes the sound except the volume knob. When I play blues I just need half of gain (or in this case overdrive), when i play harder rock i turn up the gain (od). maybe you or i missunderstood?!
    MrKnister
    If i think of gain, i mean OD and/or Distortion,too! Sorry im European
    MaggaraMarine
    MrKnister wrote: MaggaraMarine wrote: When you max the gain the amp usually gets incredibly muddy. The amount of gain doesn't change the sound. It sounds the same with lower gain. You just need to tweak the EQ to get the metal sound. Ok, changing EQ is also necessary to get metal sound. But more or less gain changes the sound More or less of anything changes the sound except the volume knob. When I play blues I just need half of gain (or in this case overdrive), when i play harder rock i turn up the gain (od). maybe you or i missunderstood?!
    But I was talking about how ridiculously high gain Engl Screamer for example is. The sound stops changing after the gain is at half. After that you just get more sustain and mud. And I can't imagine anybody using an OD in front of that high gain thing.
    sstony
    I use the TA 15 combo at work to test guitars and must say they do have a pretty good sound.
    MrKnister
    MaggaraMarine wrote: But I was talking about how ridiculously high gain Engl Screamer for example is. The sound stops changing after the gain is at half. After that you just get more sustain and mud. And I can't imagine anybody using an OD in front of that high gain thing.
    Ok, i can imagine that theres existing a muddy boarder my Engl Straight from 80s just didnt give any sound after turning distortion above 8,5
    prazskycanuck
    Just got this amp - tested it out last night for about 1/2 hour playing through a 2X12 Orange cab. To me the cleans are very neutral and direct - not "signature" like Fender, Marshall or Vox. But very nice. It just doesn't have the same "chime" as fender or vox. But if i want that, I should spend a bit more and get a fender/vox . Well I do want that, but maybe later. This amp sounds great and I am extremely happy with the initial results considering the amount I had to shell out for it Now to pick up the footswitch... Just one more thing on this - I tested out the TSA 30 combo...I hated it. Tons of noise from it, even with humbuckers. I would fully recommend the head over the combo any day of my life!