Theta 300W Review

manufacturer: ISP Technologies date: 01/05/2010 category: Guitar Amplifiers
ISP Technologies: Theta 300W
The Theta Amp Head offers a unique approach to the guitar amplifier, providing two selectable input pre-distort preamplifiers.
 9.8
 9.5
 2,778
review (1) pictures (1) 12 comments vote for this gear:
Theta 300W Reviewed by: adeliq, on january 05, 2010

Price paid: C$ 1700

Purchased from: JB Music

Features: I got this from a local music shop for roughly $1800. Its a 300 watt solid state head with 2 channels, both with pre-amps. It has an effects loop and built in reverb. It also has a boost knob and of course all of this is accessible on the 6 switch foot pedal that it comes with. One of my favourite parts about it is that it has a ISP decimator sound reduction system build directly into the amp, and its got one for each channel. If you have a decimator pedal you know what I'm talking about. The one thing that bothered me about it was when I found out it doesn't have a headphone jack:( // 9

Sound: Generally I play alot of power metal, death metal, and melodic death metal. It is absolutely fantastic for metal because it has more gain than any other amp in the world, greater than 140db (pulled that fact out of the handbook:P) So the gain is intensely brutal. But taking into account that its a solid state I was a little bit sketchy on its clean tone. Without the pre-amp the clean tone is fairly lack luster, better than most solid states but nothing amazing. But then I switch on the pre-amp and I was blown away. I can say that this is without a doubt the best clean you can get without tubes, to the point where you will think it has tubes lol. Very impressed by that. And because of the decimator I can turn the amp all the way up with full gain turn my guitar on and have zero feedback without affecting the tone even a bit (I do this for my friends to show off lol) // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't used it at a gig yet. But as I don't have a backup I can't bring one but I can honestly say I wouldn't bring one anyway, which is why I love solid state. The amp is build like a truck, in that I mean it is quite literally coated with the liner stuff they put in the bed of pickup trucks. And I tried to wiggle the knobs out of curiosity and they didn't break off so I was satisfied lol. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 5 years and I've tried a bunch of amps and I came to the conclusion that tubes scare me (to many things can go wrong with them right before a show, and I'm just paranoid) So I can now say that I found the "best" solid state amp in the world. They made this thing from the ground up, and took out 5 patents to make it. If it were stolen I would cry myself to sleep every night until I had a new one. But I shall leave you with 1 more piece that bothered me. Its not very pretty. It only has 5 LED lights and other than that it looks very bland. And appearance does count for something when spending this much money. // 9

Comments