JCA20H Head review by Jet City Amplification

Jet City Amplification: JCA20H Head

Purchased from: Eclipse Music

This amp provides great tone to any guitar I have plugged it into so far. I have a Strat upgraded with GFS Alnico II single coils, an SG with standard Alnico V humbuckers, and an SX Strat-style with P90's. All of these sound great with virtually no tweaking to the amp knobs. I mostly play classic rock or blues rock riffs (Hendrix, The Who, ZZ Top), but do also branch into punk and pop-punk sounds (Green Day, Blink-182), and it sounds absolutely great for all of them. One thing that can make it even better is the addition of a nice overdrive pedal (I use the DigiTech Bad Monkey) to really make this amp stand out. Some people complain of a "flabby" low end, but I'm not getting any of that.

My overall impression is that the JCA20H is amazing. I got it for a fantastic price, and have not regretted it for a single minute. Some people have an issue with the large "goofy" logo on the front, but I have no problem with it. And I understand JCA now offers different logo panels for the front. And I do like the blue color - it really sets it apart from other amps in the same pack. I would recommend this amp to just about anyone, although there are some tones it just won't do. It's hard to get a nice loud sparkling clean tone unaided, and if you're looking for the heaviest tone in the world, it's probably in your best interest to keep looking. But aside from this, you can probably dial in a tone that works for you, and with out too much effort.

I've had this amp (and matching 2x12 cab) for about 6 months, and so far have had literally no problems. I know it will be due for a tube change soon, and I may try some JJ's or TungSol tubes next time, but for now, even with the stock Chinese tubes, it sounds amazing. Aside from the tubes, the chassis feels very sturdy & gives me no indication that it will ever break. Even the tolex took a hard scuff during transport & still looks brand new.

This is a JCA20H, the 20-watt all-tube head from Jet City. It is the newer model with the plastic Rocker switches as opposed to the metal toggles. As far as features go, there's not a lot to write home about: single channel input, gain, bass, middle & trebel knobs, master volume, presence, standby & power Rocker switches. A bit bare-bones, but using these knobs you can create a nice variety of tones. The presence knob is a nice touch, as it provides a bit of brightness or sparkle to your tone. Still, do I wish it had a few more features, like on-board reverb or an effects loop? Yeah, I really do.