JCA50H Review

manufacturer: Jet City Amplification date: 07/05/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Jet City Amplification: JCA50H
 8.9
 8.3
 9.4
 10,781
review (1) pictures (2) 1 comment vote for this gear:
JCA50H Reviewed by: toneseeker101, on july 05, 2012

Purchased from: zZounds

Features: This amp is from 2009 or 2010. The controls consist of... crunch & overdrive gain knobs, bass, middle, treble, crunch & overdrive volume knobs and a presence control. It is a very simple layout. The JCA 50 comes with 2 unbranded 6L6s in the power amp & 5 12AX7s in the preamp & has a tube buffered effects loop. It comes with two channels-crunch & overdrive which can only be changed by the included footswitch. One can get a clean tone by keeping the preamp gain low on the crunch channel. I wish it had three independent channels and level controls for the loop but for $450 it is a GREAT deal. // 8

Sound: I play in a cover band doing all kinds of rock & pop songs. Needless to say this isn't the amp I use for that project. I use a Carvin V3 or a Blackstar HT-100, both of which have 3 channels and are a little more versatile. I mostly use it at home & at Jam sessions when I am playing classic metal(Priest, Sabbath etc.) It excels at that. It is LOUD too! With the overdrive channel I use an ESP with EMG 81s & it sounds awesome. Warm & thick. The od channel also sounds good with my Xaviere XV-890s "Crunchy Pat" passive humbuckers. With tons of low end & sustain for days. The crunch channel doesn't give you a Fender clean. The gain knob on the crunch channel doesn't go much past one or so before you start to get some break-up. I don't think you can get that death metal, drop-tuned static nu-metal tone. If you want this "sound" look elsewhere. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I give it a 7 because I owned it for 5 weeks and the power tubes started to red-plate one night. I sent it back to the company to make sure it was ok & they had it back within a week & it sounds as good as new. The repair guy said he didn't know what caused the red-plating. It works. It sounds great. That's what matters. // 7

Overall Impression: This amp has a good tone for rock, hard rock, classic metal & early thrash. With a good od pedal out front, it will do any genre out there. If it were stolen I would replace it with the HDM 100 watt version which is switchable to 50 watts & has a depth control to go along with the aforementioned presence knob. I love this amp. When I got it I paid $450. Now they go for $600. I still think it is a decent price, maybe a little high. On top of other heads I also own a Bugera 1990. I paid $450 for that one as well. I like the Bugera but the Jet City 50 is a better amp all around. On a side note this amp can be modded. One option is Titan Amps. They have a $250 mod that supposedly makes this amp sound even better, more like the Soldano it is modeled after. // 9

Comments