JT50 Mirage review by Johnson

Johnson: JT50 Mirage

Purchased from: Guitar Center.

The Johnson JT-50 Mirage was made in 1999 and sold until 2002. It weighs 60 pounds. It is heavy. It has 12 different amplifier models. 7 different modulation effects. 3 channels in each bank to provide 21 presets. Headphone jack doubles as a compensated direct out. Individual effect send and return jacks let you add your favorite line level processor. It is 50 watts. And univinal covering. 12 Johnson premium loud speaker. Digital V tube technology modeling. 3 effects at once. 24 bit A/D/A. 24 bit DSP. Depth/Gate, Mode/Pitch, Tap shift, Reverb. It also has Level/time, Feedback, and Bank select. Optional JT3 foot switch.

It has a Blues Combo, Black Face 65 Fender, tweed 57 Fender, Boutique matchless DC 30, Hot Rod combo Mesa Boogie Mark 2 C, Rectified Mesa Dual Rectifier, Brit Modern Marshall JCM900, Brit Master Marshall Master Tone, Brit class Vox AC30 clean gain and Jonson clean, Johnson dirty crunchy combo, and Johnson Gain a smooth lead tone. I play country, easy listening, hard acid rock, smooth mellow '70s, '50s, '60s, and gospel. I love the Vox sound. The Marshall and the Mesa Boogie sound. Boutique sounds OK to me. The Johnson sounds great but different. I Love playing Firehouse "Love of a Lifetime." The Marshall sound in it makes that song come alive. I use a Yamaha Picifica, Jay Turser jazz box, and a Douglas Halo Explorer style guitar. It can play Jazz great. Gospel and any other music you like to play. It get really loud on the Marshall, Mesa Boogie, Johnson and Boutique. I kepp my master volume on 3. And my solid body guitar tone on 10. My Volume on 10. It sounds like I cut the master volume on 10 when I use those sounds. It really gets to loud. I cut the master on 2 and the volume gets to low. The Effects sound great. It has built in Chorus, Flanger, Phaser I love that sound, Tremolo, Vibrato, Pitch/Detune, and delay, a Noise Gate. Rverb is hall or spring. I use a lot of Reverb. Set it to 10 the max you can have. The presets suck. I make my own. The only down fall of the amplifier. It is the best sounding amplifier I own. It has V-Tube technology that sounds almost like a tub amplifier.

It is has heavy as a tank. I'm going to build me a custom cabinet out of Splitted Malted Maple. Personal Preference. I dislike the black univinal. It plays very well for being 15 years old. They go for under 200 used. Mine was free. The person that bought it paid 170 dollars total. That is stealing it. It stays in my computer room. I learn songs from the internet and play it in that room. I love it. The speaker is really loud and great. The amplifier pops sometimes. It is old but in great shape. It knobs work great. The speaker is loud. And the amplifier presets suck. That is the amplifier only downfall.

I could not live without it if it was stolen. I want 3 more as a backup. I play everything with it. Use it everyday. Unplug it when not in use. I take really good care of it. I can play jazz, rock, gospel, and easy listing easy with this amplifier. It sounds like other expensive amplifiers and it saves money. Do not have to buy used or new amplifiers. But will have a few other brand also. I will use it as my main amplifier every day. The song "Love of a Lifetime" by Firehouse sounds great with the Marshall setting nothing better. If you would have told me in high school that at 40 I would be playing that song through the best amplifier I have ever owned. And It would model the expensive marshall I would have told you that you was crazy. I love everything about the amplifier. The only complaint is the presets suck. The Johnson can get really loud. And that may be a great or bad thing. Depends on how you look at it.