Standard 15 review by Johnson

Johnson: Standard 15

Price paid: A$ 1100

Purchased from: Music Box

I play a Yamaha EG 112, hss. I mostly play rock and metal, and some chilled clean music. This amp was never meant to be a metal machine. The overdrive is creamy and controlled. It excells at dirty blues and clean sounds, but with the gain all the way up and through a humbucker you get a satisfying crunch. Played at its loudest, the clean begins to break up and the Drive loosens up nicely. If you fiddle with the EQ you can get a wide variety of tones. At reasonable volumes the sound is a bit dry, so reverb would have been a welcome addition. It tends to buzz a bit at high gain and volume settings. It also readily picks up other electrical signals from the surrounds, such as mobile phones. With a 10 score being perfection for sound, a 6 is good for such a small amp.

This is a well made, basic, stable, amp. What you see is what you get. If you have a multi effects pedal, you can make this amp do anything. I would recommend it to players with a lighter style, and for home use. I have been playing guitar for 6 years. I use it with a Drive pedal, and I find this is very convenient for switching channels and easy tone changes. You would struggle to get a better amp in the same price range, unless your dad runs a music shop. My only complaint is the lack of reverb and that the gain is insufficient, but I have pedals to do that.

I have never had a problem with my amp. It does heat up a bit at extreme volumes, but all the controlls are smooth and constant. It has a sturdy feel to it. The grill is ridgid, the carry handle is thick and well fastened, and the fabric covering seems durable. I would have liked if they had used proper wood, and not chipboard for the frame frame though. As long as you don't drop it off a balcony and keep it dry this amp will keep working as it was when it came out of the factory.

I'm from South Africa, so the currency is Rand. The Johnson Standard 15 is a small solid state anp, with all the basics. Mine was made in 2007. It has a 1/4inch input and headphone jack, as well as a footswitch socket. It has a three band equalizer, and a gain control and switch. There is no seperate EQ for the Drive channel, and there is no effects loop. Its rated to 15 watt, and has plenty volume to annoy your neighbours, but as this is a solidstate amp it equals to about a 5 watt tude amp. For home use or as a practice amp this is all you need.

Gerrit
    South Africa rules, so hoeveel Rand was the Ampie? Hy lyk maar vir my biekie klien. Seker maklik om te vervoer ens. Lekker review.
    monsterkabouter
    R1100, maar ek dink dit was `n bietjie hoog. Haha ja hy is klein, maar dit voldoen aan al my behoefdes.