Twintone II review by Koch

Koch: Twintone II

Purchased from: Local Music Shop

The guitar I use with it is a LTD EC-1000 with EMG 81/60, it is a mahogny-body with ebony fretboard. The cleans are very good, when played with my guitar with the Neck-pickup you get this very amazing deep and clear sound, in my ears I'd say it can almost sound acoustic, but it ain't THAT great, though I personally love it. It stays clean even on very high volumes (I've had it up to 6 on volume, and it has not been distorted one bit) When you throw in the reverb you can really get a nice sound, though I rarely use the reverb. The OD works great for songs you just need light distortion, though I do not use this channel almost at all, as I play mostly Hard Rock and Metal. But it is nice to have this. OD+ is the OD with more gain. So it just boosts your gain by quite a lot, though not to the point where everything is just mash. The gain is really nice and tight, though it could've maybe been a little more of it (as said earlier). But you can have a very hard rock/metal-tone out of this little bastard without it getting muddy. Though I would not classify this as a "brutal" amp. The amp is VERY quiet, it does very rarely feed, and it makes almost no buzzing-sound when in standby-mode or with the volume-knob rolled down on your guitar, this is a feature I love very much.

I play mostly hard rock/metal/heavy metal/-core. So for me it works just fine, I will most likely invest in some pedals to boost the gain and OD a little bit, but other than that it is a very good match for me. I've been playing for about 3 years now, and this is the first real amp I got, before this I played a Line 6 Spider III (Borrowed from friend) and a Fender FM212R (also borrowed), so the improvement from those amps are remarkable. The cleans on this thing is probably the thing I love the most, the sound I can get is so amazing in my ears, I just love it to death. I couldn't really decide what amp to get, I wanted to get a Peavey 6505, but I couldn't afford it, so I decided to get this one, as I fell in love with the cleans, and loved the clarity of the OD on it. So I can definately vouch for this one!

I've had this amp now for little over 6 months, I've transported it around quite a lot, and it has never failed me ever. It is a little heavy, but that is to be expected of small tube-amps. So I have never had a problem with it ever, been very steadfast, so for me its a 10 here.

First of all, this amp was bought in Norway, so the price might be slightly higher than in the US (as most of musical equipment), but I found it here at a great price, so I hit it after trying it for several hours. Anyway, onto the amp! The amp is a Koch Twintone II, the amp is Dutch-made, I have no idea what year, but it is from the Netherlands. I had never heard of the amp before, so when the dude in the store showed it to me, I was a little bit sceptical, but I was very convinced after the hours of playing on it. The amp comes with three channels; Clean, OD and OD+. So it has Clean, Overdrive and Hard Overdrive. The amp comes with a pedal so you can change easily between these channels, though you can of course physically change it on the amp. The amp also has built in Reverb which you can preset on the back of the amp, then activate with the pedal. I would've wanted a bit more gain, though I usually just go with the gain at about 12 o' clock, because if you turn on more it easily becomes muddy. Though this is not a huge problem for me. The 50W it gives you is enough for me personally, I use it for practicing at home as well as for practicing with my band, and soon gigging (hopefully). It is a tube-comboamp with 1 12" Speaker. It also has a FX-loop, Power Soak (50W/25W/0W) as well as two inputs (Bright Clean/Normal), whereas the Bright Clean cuts down some mids for guitars with Dual Humbuckers.

Baraga
    So that would make the reverb digital and not spinged right?
    Kergash
    Baraga wrote: *thumbs up* The amp also has built in Reverb which you can preset on the back of the amp, then activate with the pedal So that would make the reverb digital and not spinged right?
    Thanks man! The reverb is (from what I've gathered) socalled Springed Reverb, I have no idea what it means really. :p But thats what their website says.
    von gelb
    Very good choice, and I'm not just saying that because I'm Dutch. Price is fair, you would pay the same over here in the Netherlands. If I had the money I would buy one too.
    ProgFolk12
    I doubt Koch would ever build an amp with digital reverb, they're highly sought after amps of very high quality