Rev Jr. Pro review by Krank

Krank: Rev Jr. Pro

I play mostly heavy-metal but I do love the blues and this amp has enough variation in tones to do either and anything in between. I play Jackson RR1s with JBs and Jazzes and this is a very smooth amp. I understand many believe that Krank has love or hate tone but I believe this is unreasonable. Outa the box this thing doesn't sound amazing. Not bad but not great either. You have to tweak for at least 2 hours to dial in YOUR tone and only then is it going to sound amazing. And trust me it does... I play a pretty simple rig with the RR1 into a Crybaby From Hell, into the MXR Chorus, into the MXR Carbon Copy Delay, into a Korg Blackout tuner and back into the amp with a the MXR Smartgate in the loop. Killer heavy tones.

This amp is perfect for heavy-metal and classic rock. The gain structures between the too are very dfferent but somehow this amp just sounds amazing with the gain on about 2 and the Sweep at 6. It sounds very Plexi like and it's perfect for Zeppelin, Sabbath or anything 80's. Hel even Hendrix tunes sound nearly perfect with the gian on 1. Ive been playing for 2 years and own Jackson USA, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, an American HSS Strat and various other axes and this amp owns. I sold my Boogie Dual Recto for this and it was worth it. If it was stolen I would but a new one in a heartbeat. Better than any other low wattage amps on the market. Buy it.

This thing is a beast and can handle pretty much anything. I like how Krank made the chasis slightly roomier too so now you have easier access to the tubes... hasn't broken down and I don't think it will. I accidentally tried to fry the transformers the first day I got it but it is perfectly fine and I really don't expect to have issues. I always gig with a backup but I don't think it would be completely neccessary with this one...

This amp was made in 2008 and was just released to the general public. It's a 2 channel all tube beast with a few upgrades from the previous Jr's including a slightly altered gain circuit, a footswitch, and a 2 band EQ on the "Kleen" channel. The "Krank" channel has a 3 band EQ along with a mid-parametric "sweep" control which is extremely useful in dialing in different tones. It is probably on of the most versatile high-gain amps on the market and most definately the most versatile in the low wattage market. It is easily loud enogh to do small clubs and mid-sized venues and they have invented this magical thing called a mic for those playing in stadiums. The cops were called literally within the first 2 hours I hooked this thing up.

zedeathmetal
    Ive got one of these on the way just stopping by to see if it was worth the money. I hope it is as good as the review says it is. It should be here tomarrow.