36 Coupe 112 review by Kustom

Kustom: 36 Coupe 112

Purchased from: Musicians's Friend

I play three guitars through this amp, an Epiphone Les Paul, a Schecter Hellraiser FR and a Blade RH-2 (basically a strat). All three guitars sound good through it. The clean(er) channel particularly loves the single coils on the Blade. My style of music is primarily rock and old metal like Metallica or Sabbath or the like. For those purposes this amp is wonderful, with plenty of distortion when necessary and capable of good cleans (albeit only at fairly low volumes) and overall excellent sound. One thing I will say is that it can be tricky to work your way around the EQ, but once you get the hang of it it shouldn't be so bad. Also, this can most definitely drown out a drummer. Don't know what that guy was talking about.

For my music as well as many others this amp is a good match. It's very much a versatile machine, being able to handle many genres well, although it is certainly no 505 for metal or Fender for cleans. Overall, this is a great amp and I'd gladly buy it again were it lost. Maybe get yourself an overdrive if you plan to play metal, although if metal as it sounds today is all you are going to do then most definitely look elsewhere.

When I first ordered this amp it arrived with a broken toggle Switch. I sent it back and recieved a new one without this problem. The Switch seems a little weak to me, so be careful. The On/Off and standby switches are very strong however, as is the footswitch and general construction. One final thing, it runs hot. Very hot. As in I could huddle behind the amp on a cold day and get my hands pretty toasty pretty fast. I'm considering installing some fans to help with that, but it has not presented any issues as of yet.

This amp has some interesting featuer that make it a very useful amp. Each channel has a pull bright Switch which wil alter your sound a bit and make it brighter (as you would imagine), which is helpful for hitting certain tones. It has an accutronics reverb system, although to be honest, I am not a fan. Two inputs, two channels, however like the previous review said neitehr of them are a real "clean" channel, although it can get a great clean sound if you keep it quiet. My favourite feature is the footswitch, it activates or deactivates the reverb, switches channels, and also activates a magnificent volume boost that will nto alter your tone at all, just make you louder to be heard through the mix. Point lost for there being no separate EQ.

vferrizz
    I just got one new for $799 USD. I like the versatility of the amp and it is very easy to use. I think the clean channel sounds just fine and the lead channel covers a wide range of sounds. As far a playing metal on it my KH-602 and Boss Metal Zone sound nasty through this amp. Fantastic amp!!!!!