Arrow 16 review by Kustom

Kustom: Arrow 16

Price paid: € 100

Purchased from: 4Sound

This amp has the warm sound characters of a tube amp and surprisingly very 'organic' and 'lively' for a Solid State amp. I can't hear any digital clipping or so whatever, the sound comes out smooth as silk even in the dirty channel! The 3-band EQ works well and can give me quite wide range of sound variations. This amp takes my Ibanez TS7 Tubescreamer in a very good way and together with my Line 6 Pocket POD, I can pull off almost any sound I can possibly desire. There are of course a few things that I didn't like from this amp. No noise cancellation or gate built in so it picks out every single bit of noises coming from the guitar input. Some 'hall echo' mixed in the sound that I can't get rid of. The effects are pretty generic, the only thing that is editable is the volume. This is solved with using my Pocket POD effects instead. Not a big deal. The sound coming from headphone jack on the back is really bad, distorted and loud.

I have been playing for almost two years and this was the amp that I started out with. From the beginning I have always judged it based on price so it was a 'bad budget amp' that I just happens to own. It was left collecting dusts in a corner for half a year until recently when I just sold my Vox AD50VT and picked it up again. Now that my ears are little better trained this thing sounds wonderful! It brings me joys to see that I could find my sounds within' this amp I've been having the whole time. I just wish the effects name were writing on the front instead of the back panel and that they would be more customizable. Maybe a noise gate built in would be nice but I understand that it is not a feature an amp of this level would normally have.

It's a solid state amp so I don't expect it to be as sensitive as tube amps. The thing built sturdy and feels solid. The knobs has nice quality feeling to them as they are not loosely. Under two years it has not given me any problem. This amp might not be loud enough for a medium gig but small ones would be perfectly fine. It's so small and light, very easy and simple for mean of transportation.

This camp has two channels, lead which has gain and volume knob and rhythm channel for clean sound with its own volume knob. On board 3-band EQ (low/mid/hi). My version is 16DFX, means that there is effect built in. There are 8 different effects available (hall reverb/spring reverb/slap back/delay/chorus/chorus+reverb/flange/reverb/tremolo). Hidden on the back is a external speaker and headphone output. Very standard for a practice amp.

NothingButRock
    I just bought one today and I love it.. I'll put a review up at a later date, when I've had it long enough to actually rate.