Dual 35 DFX review by Kustom

Kustom: Dual 35 DFX

Purchased from: Reid's Music

I'm using a Peavey Explore EXP with this, and it's pretty good. I have no real problems with that. It suits my style, alright, but not perfectly. I am a complete metal-head, so that's my style. Only time it's really noisy is when the volume is up high, then it starts to get distorted, unfortunately. No real way to fix that. It can make a good lot of sounds, mostly made for rock though. I can get some Zeppelin, Sabbath, Metallica and stuff, but not anything like a death metal tone.

I've been playing for about 2 years now, and I have a Peavey Explore EXP. Works fine with all of that. No real problems. If this were stolen or lost, I would probably take a look for something a bit better because I was only a little noob guitarist when I bought this and I didn't know really what all the specs and confusing terms and whatnot meant. My favorite feature on this is probably the equalizer, which is pretty freakin' sweet, imo. Overall, good for a beginner-intermediate guitarist, but nothing else, really.

I might use it without a backup. Depends on the gig, I suppose. If it was say, a battle of the bands or something, I probably wouldn't use this. Too muffled and noisy. Now if it was just a laid back gig or something, not too important, I'd use this. It works well and gives good sound and wouldn't give out on you mid-gig, seeing as it's built like a tank. Never broken down on me either, and I've used it practically everyday for the past year and a half.

First of all, I have no idea when this amp was made. I assume it was a little while ago, but there were no markers so I really have no idea. 35 watts and 8 effects. It is quite versatile, but not particulary made for any..acoustic playing or jazzy type stuff. I have yet been able to acheive those sounds. Even with an acoustic guitar, it's not exactly great. Definitely made for an electric guitar, and just plain rock. You can get a metal sound out of it, but it's very muddy. Extremely muddy. I'd highly recommend a distortion pedal for metal. It has two channels, rhythm and lead. There is no channel-switching-footpedal or anything, so you have to stop playing and hit the Switch on the amp anytime you want to change. It's the same way with the effects. There are headphone jacks, but I've never had any reason to use them so I can't really tell you how good they are. The only feature I wish it had is just a footpedal. It's a real pain having to stoop down and flick the effects everytime you want a change. It definitely has enough power, it'll blow you away on 10, I'm sure, but I've never actually had it up there. Unfortunately, as you go higher in volume, it does get quite distorted, which is one downside. Also, it is a solid state amp.