HV65 Review

manufacturer: Kustom date: 08/20/2007 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Kustom: HV65
The HV65 utilizes an exclusive new Kustom preamp circuit that combines a 12AX7 vacuum tube known for its robust tonal qualities with solid-state circuitry that provides consistency and reliability. To maximize the tube's distinctive audio characteristics and dynamic range, the HV preamp circuit operates at high voltages. The resulting tone is rich, dynamic and loaded with harmonic content.
 7.7
 6.4
 3,131
review (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
HV65 Reviewed by: SylvaShredder, on august 20, 2007

Purchased from: Musicland Express

Features: This is a fairly new amp I believe. It is a hybrid amp (as in solid-state power with a tube pre-amp) and usually I don't go for hybrids, but this one surprised me. She has 2 channels (lead & rythym) with seperate 3 EQ (low, mid, high), volume and gain for each. Has a volume boost and a bunch of effects like chorus, phaser, octaver, flanger, delay, auto wah, and a bunch of other stuff. Has CD In and headphone jack. It has a bunch more plugs in the back. I just don't use 'em. // 8

Sound: I use a Johnson (made by Axl) with "designed by emg" pickups. I know this isn't too great a guitar, but it sounds really great on the amp. I can get a kinda Stevie Ray Vaughan sound out of it on the rythym channel with bass & mid on 5 and high on 10 with full gain and the overdrive. Lots of versatality outta this amp. Turn the gain down on the amp, slap on a DigiTech MM Distortion, dial in EQ and your set with some face-scorching metal sound. I usually don't use the "lead" channel just because I'll do what I mentioned above for distortion, but it has a mediocre distortion to it. This amp gets very loud. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would probably depend on it for a gig, just because I sold most of my old equipment to "level down" my stuff (if that's a term). I have not owned it for more than a couple months, but I'm sure it's reliable. It's a hybrid tube pre-amp, so when the tube goes out you only replace 1 and that's hardly ever with a hybrid. // 10

Overall Impression: I'll play blues, metalcore, and pretty much anything in my solos (it's fun to spice solos up with licks and riffs from different genres). I've been playing for I'd say about 2 1/2 years now. If someone stole it, I'd kick their ass because I worked to buy this thing on my own. I was originally going to buy a Randall G3 series 75 watt, but decided on this thing admittedly because of the value. It has great sound (although Randall G3 had 1 I liked more) and is cheaper, plus more versatile than the Randall. I can't really think of anything else it needs, I'm pretty content with it. // 9

Comments