KG100HFX review by Kustom

• Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
Kustom: KG100HFX

I use several guitars with this amp, and none of them can sound great with the amp alone. With my Ibanez XPT700FX with a DiMarzio X2N in the bridge and no matter how hard I tweaked it, it still sounded like shit. On the up side with Duncan Designed Detonator in the neck the cleans were wonderful, crystal clear and overall very nice. I was Impressed with the amp's clean channel but the overdrive channel is f--king awful. The overdrive channel is all ways buzzy, the distortion sound like someone's taking a shit infront of a Microphone, with my Jackson RR24M it sound like crap, with my Ibanez it sounded like crap, with my Jackson RR3 it sounded like crap, is it my 500 and 1000 dollar guitars or is it this 100 dollar footstand? I'll let you be the judge of that. The cleans on the other hand are amazing, clear, articulate, and beautiful.

It's a Kustom, and it's a solid state amp, I'm fairly sure this amp could a beating no problem. I play all form of metal along with blues, jazz, and rock. This amp can handle all of them decently but none of them well. I've played for about 5 years now and I'm sure that's enough time for me to be able to have reasonable understanding of tone. This isn't the worst amp I've ever played, and there's much worse out there in it's price range, but there's also better out there in it's price range (I'm talking new not used). Overall not horrible but there's much better out there for a bit more.

It's solid state so it's going to be fairly hard to break. I've owned this amp for 3 years and she's still going strong but will she last as long as a Marshall Plexie, or a Vintage Fender Bassman? Only time will tell. I've had gigged with her once when I forgot my Bugera 1960 (yeah I'm a dumbass) and she held up fine, sounded like crap, but didn't blow up. I do take her to band practice though to save tube time on my Bugera and she's never had any problems, at gigs I just use her as a back up. Overall sturdy but it is a cheap amp, made from cheap parts so I don't know if she'll last in the long haul.

2010 made in China, 100w solid state, 2 channels, FX loop, headphone jack. I bought this amp as my first halfstack, at first I thought it was awesome but as I got better I started to see the amps limitations. This is a very basic amp, 3 band EQ (Bass, Middle, Treble), 1 volume knob and 1 gain knob on the overdrive channel, 1 volume on the clean channel. The amp has 3 FX on board, Delay, Reverb, and Chorus. The FX are useless because you can't turn them off or only have 1 on, there's a button that controls if reverb or delay is on, you can't turn them both on or off and they all use they same knob so you can't just have chorus or reverb, or delay on, or all 3 of them on at the same time.

MaggaraMarine
    LeakyFlask
    MaggaraMarine wrote: jinsu2301 wrote: MaidenMan88 wrote: Basic rule of thumb with solid state amps: the overdrive/gain channel will always suck. I don't know about this, Randall made some pretty decent transistor amps. And aren't transistor-based distortion/OD pedals basically solid state pre-amps? Yes, I think. BTW. I hate it when people talk about amps/guitars and call them "her."
    Yeah well them guitars are like good women with the holes and the body and they sit on your lap and hang on your shoulders and have nitrocellulose finishes.
    MaidenMan88
    Basic rule of thumb with solid state amps: the overdrive/gain channel will always suck. I had a Kustom (100 watt combo w/ Celestion speakers). I likewise found that the cleans were great and the onboard distortion sucked (esp. for metal). Solution? Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff through the clean channel.
    jinsu2301
    RockRolla
    I have this amp head with the matching 4x12 cab. I agree with the reviewer, the clean channel is great. likewise i have never gotten a good sound from the overdrive channel either. I use my pedal board through the clean channel using input 1, with a little on board reverb. This amp will get loud, just don't rely on the amp alone to get a good metal tone.
    saint_berzerker
    Now that's a bad-ass, honest, funny review...finally a good one on here. I've learned that if you want a great overdrive tone, you need tubes. I have a little bitty Nightrain tube amp and it screams. Distortion effects just make it sound even better. But every Solid State amp I ever had sucked. It's not your guitars. You can make a crap guitar sound good with a good amp if it has 1/2 decent pickups. Yeah, Dimebag used the SS ones, but he used other effects and stuff with it to make his own tone. And the Randalls do overdrive well.