KG100HFX review by Kustom

Kustom: KG100HFX

Price paid: € 150

Purchased from: www.thomann.de

The rhythm channel in this head is amazing, but the lead channel is terrible when playing with single-coil pickups, but some humbuckers will produce a basic lead sound. Nothing special though. I mostly play with my trusty LTD AX with rather good EMG pickups and there's practically no noise at all. The rhythm channel as I said before, is amazing. With the effects on, it produces the best clean sound I've heard from a cheap transistor head, and that's why I'm sticking with this amp. I eliminated the poor lead-sound problem with my Boss ME-70's overdrive pedal trough the clean channel of the amp. I mostly play 80's hard-rock and this amp with the clean channel suits my style well. It has enough power for even an outdoor gig.

I mostly play 80's hard-rock like Mtley Cre, GN'R, Alice Cooper and also some classic rock like Zeppelin and Motrhead. This head suits my style and music well when used with the Boss ME-70. I've played for about four years now and I really needed a louder amp to replace my old Line 6 Spider IV. I searched the website (thomann.de) for a cheap head/cabinet bundle and found this head there. It looked fine with all the features listed and a nice, cheap price label. As I got it, I was a little disappointed because of the poor lead channel, but when I plugged the head into my multipedal, I knew that this is the one for me. If it got stolen I would probably buy some else head with a proper lead channel. If you have good pedals, I strongly recommend this head but if you're not one for pedals, buy something else.

This head is really built to last. I have dropped it several times and it shows no signs of damage. I've had it for about two years now and never had any problems with it. I have always played gigs without any backup amps. I have never needed any with this tank.

Here we have a cheap transistor guitar head. 100 watts, solid state, 2 channels, 3-band eq, effect unit with reverb/delay/chorus and a solo boost (to use with optional footswitch). I think that the manufacturer should have concentrated better on the lead channel beacuse it is just terrible. The rhythm channel on the other hand is amazing. I rarely use the onboard effects since I have a Boss ME-70 with this amp, but if you play only with the head, the effects work well with both channels.

MaggaraMarine
    LeakyFlask wrote: MaggaraMarine wrote: jinsu2301 wrote: MaidenMan88 wrote: Basic rule of thumb with solid state amps: the overdrive/gain channel will always suck. I don't know about this, Randall made some pretty decent transistor amps. And aren't transistor-based distortion/OD pedals basically solid state pre-amps? Yes, I think. BTW. I hate it when people talk about amps/guitars and call them "her." Yeah well them guitars are like good women with the holes and the body and they sit on your lap and hang on your shoulders and have nitrocellulose finishes.
    I think it's somehow OK to call a guitar "her" but an amp! I mean come on.
    snaggleyoda
    Every ss amp I've tried sounds like crap on distortion channel. They should just have one channel & expect people to use pedals or mebs. Maybe if they did that they could improve it overall for the same price point.