KG212FX Review

manufacturer: Kustom date: 11/01/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Kustom: KG212FX
review (1) pictures (2) 8 comments vote for this gear:
KG212FX Reviewed by: wwwnoobcom, on november 01, 2011

Price paid: € 140

Purchased from: Thomann.de

Features: I'm not sure what year this amp was made in. Anyway, I play post grunge, hard rock, grunge, classic rock, metal and some blues. This amp is solid state, it has 2 channels(lead: distorted and rhythm: clean) I'm very impressed with the clean channel, it is amazing or a solid state, the distorted suits blues and genres with low distortion and isn't very good (its ok). You can press the button on the front panel or use a foot-switch to change channels. (I had to buy the foot-switch individually, I recommend 2 button for channel change and the 2nd button: volume boost). There are effects send/return(loop) input sockets(on the back panel of the amplifier) as well as headphone 1/8" and AUX in 1/8" inputs(these 2 are on front panel). It has some built-in effects too: delay/reverb/chorus (the chorus is always mixed with delay or reverb) they are good effects, you can activate them with the button on the front panel. I use this amplifier at home and at school, its perfectly fine for both venues. There is a 3-band EQ on the amp. The back panel has: effects loop inputs (mentioned before)/external speaker input/foot-switch input. // 9

Sound: I use an ESP LTD F-10. With cheap pickups. The clean channel is excellent and suits the clean riffs that I play. The distorted isn't the best, I bought a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal for a nicer distorted sound. The amp isn't very noisy. The sounds it can make are quite limited for the distorted channel, but the clean can dish out a wide variety of different tones. The clean channel doesn't distort at any volume what'soever. The amps built in distortion is not the brutal, it can give you a fair distorted tone and can get quite heavy, it is fairly versatile, but I would recommend a distortion pedal to go with the amp. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Well, this amp is quite tough. I'd say I would go to gigs with it, they can be arena's or large venues though (amp not loud enough), and I got to bring my DS-1 with me (nicer dist. sound). I can depend on the amp, it never broke down on me. The feel of the volume/EQ/other knobs on the amp isn't very smooth but it's good. I'd say the amp is reliable. // 9

Overall Impression: Yes, the Kustom KG212FX along with a distortion pedal is perfect for all styles I play. Without the pedal it will do, but not as good as with it. If the amp was lost or stolen I'd buy a tube amp, they sound nicer, although this one sound very good, so if I didn't have enough money for a tube I would buy this one again. As I said: amazing clean tone, good enough distorted, and effects are nice to have too. I would like it better if the foot-switch could switch on/off the chorus, delay and reverb effects (if you buy a 3 button FS the 3rd button will do nothing). // 8

Comments