Quad 100 DFX review by Kustom

Kustom: Quad 100 DFX

Purchased from: Sam Ash

This amp responds well to harder and lighter picking with the gain set about half way on the dirty channel. Although the preamps don't change the sound too much on either channel, it is enough of a difference to be interesting. Agian, the dirty channel performs well for punk rock when played through a humbucker, and well enough to get by through a single-coil. The clean channel sounds full and rich with the chorus on, or with a little bit of reverb through a single-coil in the neck position. The only complaint that I had with it was that the first time I plugged in, it began to pick up a local radio station, even though I was dirrectly plugged in and not wireless. It hasn't done this since then, though. It sounds really great for the price and responds to heavy and light playing like a much more expensive amp.

I have to change prom playing punk to playing in my church youth group, so I needed an amp that could ealily go from one to the other, and Kustom provided it in the Quad 100 DFX. I compared it to my friend's Fender 100 FM, and even though it doesn't go as loud, I can get a variety of sounds out of mine while he can really only get one sound out of his Fender. The built in effects are so nice that I can leave my Korg effects pedal at home when I play now, so that's just one less thing to carry to gigs. If this amp was stolen, I would definately go right out and buy the same thing again. I wish it was just a little bit lighter, but I suppose any 2x12 is going to be heavy, and it is well-built, so it's not all that bad that it weighs a lot. Overall, this is a wonderful amp and completely worth the money.

I just got this amp a few weeks ago, so I haven't had any problems yet with it and it doesn't seem like I probably will. The speakers are set a bit back from the grill cloth, and it's a semi-closed back (it has about a 4 inch opening), so I feel like the speakers are protected. Also, it's solid-state, so I don't have to worry about changing out the tubes or anything like that. The cabinet itself seems well-built, so I don't see any problems there, either. The only thing that may be a problem is the Tolex covering, which is already a bit scuffed up, but since that's only aesthetic, it's not really that big of a deal.

This amp puts out 100 watts through 2 12 inch Celestion speakers rated at 65 watts a piece. It has 8 built in effects: hall reverb, spring reverb, slapback, delay, chorus, chorus/reverb, flanger/reverb, and tremolo. Even though you can't tweak the settings for these effects besides "Level", they are preset in a way that they sound good anyway. The Quad has 2 channels, each with 2 preamps. The dirty channel puts out enough crunch for punk when played with a humbucker, and the clean channel sounds great with a Telecaster's neck pickup. It also has a nifty mic line output built in on the top which can be used as a direct box when playing live, but it's really loud enough that you wouldn't have to plug it in if you are only playing a medium-sized gig. It also has an effects loop, 1/4 inch line out, and a line out for hooking it up to an extention cabinet that cuts the sound to the 2 built in speakers. The tone controls, though, are passive, so that took a little bit of time to get used to in switching from my old Crate, but the controls are very user-friendly, so I caught on quickly. Overall, the features on this amp are excelent.