Quad 100 DFX review by Kustom

Kustom: Quad 100 DFX

Purchased from: Pawn Shop

I am either playing an Ovation Standard Balladeer or an Epiphone SG with dual humbuckers. The Ovation sounds good on the clean side for country and blues, switch over to lead channel for good lead capabilities (just watch out for too much distorion). Now when its time to tear it up a little, I plug in the old SG and fire up the distortion and the boost. I can sound (almost) like Jimmy Page through this amp. I found the clean side is great for rhythm and the lead just plain sceams for leads. Again, the biggest limitation is the non adjustable FX, but with a little creativity, you can get almost any sound except death metal (but then again, why would you want to?)

I play everything-counrty, folk, classic rock, alternative, heavy rock, and blues. This amp has the versatility to play them all well. I have been playing for 5 years. I would definately buy this one again, if I could get a white one. I love the way it reponds to both of my guitars and the versatility of it. I hate that the FX aren't adjustable, and there isn't a headphone jack (the speaker out only plays mono). I compared it to other amps around 300, and they were eaither stripped down and cheap looking with lots of power, or they were all digial FX and no power (and cheap looking). This one jumped out at me. I could have payed a little more and got a Fender, but it wasnt nearly as versatile or loud. This is the only amp I will ever need to play any music I want, from Led Zeppelin to Hank Williams to Sublime to Howlin Wolf.

This seems like a very well built amp, I haven't had it that long. One thing though, I went to buy an amp at Pawn one, they had a Quad 100 DFX that was white. I thought it looked nice so I tryed it out, and the lead channel button was busted, I couldnt get any volume. So they sent it out to have it fixed, and the repair shop told them it would be like 2 months or something. So I had them order me a brand new one for the same price, and they through in a footswitch and a cover. The only problem is that the couldnt get the white one, so I got black. I don't know if the buttons break alot, I sure hope not. I think that the amp at the store gets messed with by Pawn shop people who don't know what they are doing, and thats how that one probaly got broke. But on the whole, I can't find a weak spot on the amp. Solid.

The clean channel responded so nice to my Ovation, sounded so pretty. The Ovation has a preamp built in, so I dont know how other ac/elecs will sound through this thing, but the Ovation is cherry. I also recently scored an Epiphone SG with dual humbuckers, and this thing just plain kicks ass. There are two channels with a preamp switch on each one. On the lead channel it is US/UK and on the rhythm channel it is neutral/brillinant. This makes a big difference on the Ovation on the rhythm side, not so much on the lead side with the SG. Overall great sound on both sides, distortion is good (and loud). I haven't had to turn this amp up past 3 yet, even when I jam with my bro's (we play loud). The built in effects sound good, but they aren't adjustable, so that kind of limits you. But like I said, they sound great for what they are. The presets give you a good amount of versatility, you can play all types of music, and I find it to be all I need. While I don't play death metal, I still like to rock out, and there is plenty of distortion for my tastes. There is a mic input witch I have yet to try, an FX loop, speaker out, and a CD/tape line in. Very versatile. The only problem with this amp is that the knobs and swithes are on the top, in the back. No good to tweak whilst preforming. The input/outputs are on the back and hard to get to.

sg4ever
    I'd have to agree on the quality, but I don't know about the whole radio thing.
    sg4ever
    By the way, if the 100 watts of this amp is to much for your needs, it's 65 watt cousin is good too. The power is loud enough for clubs and through a P.A. system should be sufficient for small rock gigs
    Art Of Music
    Im actually using one of this amps for PA and Bassamp and if you go with a Attax 80 for Preamp to the bass it sounds terrific! Try it! ;D And yeah this amp is great! Merry Christmas