Quad 100 DFX review by Kustom

Kustom: Quad 100 DFX

Purchased from: Guitar Shop in Widnes

I use mine with an Epiphone Les Paul Standard and it's awesome. You can get almost any sound out of it from hard Black Sabbath and cruncy AC/DC sounds to smoother Pink Floyd style. The clean channel is crystal clear, and would really bring out the the characteristic sound of a telecaster or strat. It even makes even my old Squier Strat sound good (OK, maybe not good but slightly better than crap).

I have been playing for about 12 years but I am still very much a beginner. I have never had lessons or anything but I have found that going from a small Fender practice amp to a proper full sized amp has helped me to really improve a lot. Rather than fiddling with hundreds of dials and buttons on a normal amp, you can get your bass, treble etc set up and then just crank up one of the effects so it is really accessible to beginners. If it was lost or stolen I would buy it again, definately but I doubt you could lose it and I doubt anyone could lift it to steal it. It's a behemoth of an amp. It isn't a Mesa Boogie or anything granted, but it's a hell of an amp for 300 squid.

Apart from poking the LEDs through by accident it is solid as a rock. It weighs a ton but it's not like I'm moving it around anywhere. I suppose if you kicked it it would break or if you spilled beer in it it would blow up so it's not indestructible but it's as near as dammit.

This amp pumps 100 watts of power through two 12 inch Celestion speakers. It has two channels (clean and dirty) with two preamps on each (UK/USA on dirty, normal and brilliant on clean). It's got 24 bit digital effects (Reverb, chorus, flanger, delay etc) which are easily altered as there is only one dial to turn them up or down which although some people have said they wished there were more control options for these, I find it easier with just the one dial. There is an additional input for a CD player or microphone too which makes this amp excellent for using at gigs. I can't think of anything else I would use on this amp other than the stuff that is on already. I use this amp in my room and it has easily enough power for that lol, but I bought it with a view to possibly using it to gig with. It is solid state but I find this is better for me as I wouldn't be able to get the amp loud enough in my room to get the nice tube distortion anyway, better to get a good solid state amp than a budget tube amp I figured.

Black as Black
    I too own this amp, and it sounds pretty sick with the EH Metal Muff. It's unbelievable how much gain it can handle... Also, I've found the solution to the radio problem: buy a pre-amp! If you dont have one, too bad, go buy one, or your gonna have the radio signal all your amps life of course, you could probably try some technical things like grounding something... I dunno, Im not a technician. So... Rock On! That shouldnt be too hard, seeing as the amp is indestructable. Im not even kidding, this thing is like a tank among amps...