Quad 100 DFX review by Kustom

Kustom: Quad 100 DFX

Purchased from: a friend

I'm playing this with a Schecter C/SH-1, with two humbuckers with a coil-tap to make them single coils if I want to. For my clean sound (and bear in mind I don't really like Fendery cleans, I much prefer Vox) I use the clean channel on the "Neutral" setting with my neck pickup. The gain channel is pretty powerful but set the gain above seven and you'll probably get some blurriness on your leads (I only use my gain on four, and it's plenty for me). If you are looking for an AC/DC-style sound, then this is the amp for you, hands down. But I also play melodic hard rock with it, and then mellower stuff in church. This amp does all of those styles just fine. And unlike other solid state amps, it can handle having the volume put at a loud level and won't get that nasty solid state version of breakup.

It is a great amp for a beginner/smallish gigs guitarist. The effects, while not the greatest use in concert all of the time, are fun to play around with. Between it's former owner and then me, it's seen it's fair share of regular gigging and has always satisfied me. That said, it is a solid state combo, not an Orange stack. But it is easily the best solid state amp I have ever heard.

Very reliable. I have never had any problems with it in the year and a half or so that I've owned it. It's previous owner said he's never had any trouble with it either (he's a friend of mine, so he wouldn't lie to me), and actually championed this amp above others he's owned for it's durability.

This 100-watt solid state combo amp was built earlier in the 2000s; the exact year, I'm not sure. But the guy I bought it from kept it in excellent condition. It's plenty versatile. The clean channel is spectacular and lends itself well to pedals. It is essentially a four-channel amp, with two lead channels ("UK" and "US," you can probably guess which one sounds like which) and two clean channels ("Neutral," which sounds kind of like Vox, and "Brilliant," which is completely Fender). An optional footswitch can change between one lead channel and one clean channel, but not in between the "UK" and "US" or "Neutral" and "Brilliant." There are buttons on the amp itself for that. Also, there is a gain boost, but it's not footswitchable, so it is sort of useless in concert. I just leave it on all the time and use the volume boost from my wah pedal if I need it. It has a Headphone In, CD/Tape Input, Effect Send/Return, External Speaker Out, and a direct XLR out. I hate that direct XLR out, as it means a soundman always wants to direct line my amp when I very much prefer the sound of a miked amp. I usually can convince a soundman to see things my way. But the XLR out is there if you want it. There are also eight digital effects (Hall reverb, spring reverb, slap-back delay, delay, chorus, chorus/reverb, flange/reverb, and tremolo). Some of these effects are quite good (namely, reverb and tremolo), some are decent (delay), and others are just plain useless. On the footswitch, there is an option to turn on or off whichever effect you have selected, but not cycle between the effects. You have to use the knob on the amp for that. I've been using this amp at church gigs and other smaller club-type gigs, occasionally outside. It holds up just fine.