Quad 100 DFX review by Kustom

Kustom: Quad 100 DFX

Purchased from: A relative

I use my Epiphone Les Paul Studio and my Ibanez SA260FM through this amp. The clean channel is incredible. I attached my Vox DA15 to this amp to get better distortion out of it. This amp is VERY loud, and past "3" my ears start to bleed. Once I got the distortion all set up on the Vox, the Quad 100 really started to Shine. It gives the distortion a thicker, warmer sound, as opposed to the Vox's more crunchy sound. This is actually a really quiet amp when I'm not playing. There are a few effects, but most are variations on each other. Here's an example: Hall Reverb, Spring Reverb, Slapback Reverb, etc., you get the picture. But those effects are cancelled out when the Vox is hooked into this amp, so it doesn't matter. The stock distortion is pretty weak for the music I play (metal). It's mostly geared for classic rock, not metal. But with the proper distortion pedal, this amp has the potential to turn into a sonic death machine.

With the proper overdrive or distortion effect, this amp suits my style of music (progressive metal) just fine. I've been playing for a little over two years, and I also own a Vox DA15 amp. I hook that amp into the Kustom, so I can get the best of both worlds: loudness of the Kustom, effects of the Vox. This is a temporary solution until I get an actual distortion pedal. I don't think this could get stolen without me noticing; it's pretty heavy. My favorite feature would have to be the sheer size and loudness of this thing. The only thing I wish it had was a little better distortion, but that problem is easily solved by a decent distortion or overdrive unit. Overall, it's a great amp for shows, and it will last you quite a while.

I would absolutely use this amp for a show (if I had a band, that is). I wouldn't need a backup amp if I used this one. I don't expect this amp to break down anytime soon, if ever. This amp is really heavy, around 40+ pounds, so I would expect it to be really durable.

Not sure when this amp was made, looks fairly recent though. I play mostly metal, but Switch to clean every so often. This amplifier handles the cleans unbelievably well, but not so much the distortion. It has two channels, and several digital effects, such as delay and a few kinds of reverb. I wish it had heavier distortion, because I have to run my other amp through this one to get better distortion. If you're into metal and buy this amp, buy a good distortion pedal to go along with it, possibly a Boss Metal Zone or DigiTech Metal Master. I use this in my house, and it shakes the floor and windows if I turn it up past "3". It's loud! This is perfect for a small or medium-sized show. My uncle gave me a footswitch along with it, and it works well, and changes channels without any hassle. There is a jack to connect this amp to a cabinet or external speaker. This amp is fitted with Celestion speakers, not sure what model though. This amp overall sounds great with some kind of overdrive pedal.

kaptkegan
    I'd have to agree on the quality, but I don't know about the whole radio thing.
    I love this amp too, and I own it, but I have actually picked up Chinese radio. I'm even hundreds of miles away from any major city. Great rythm amp, solid lead amp. Love it.
    fagelamusgtr
    I have the same amp, but it's 65 watts. I love it. It can play almost anything and has a ton of power for it's size.
    Sumthing Catchy
    Hmm the reviews seem good and i'm kind of intrested. I was never the sort of the guy who liked the buy gear just for big names like fender or marshall. I was wondering though is this a good quality amp for say small gig to medium gigs?
    Kivarenn82
    i have the Kustom KGA 65. a previous series of the Quad, and while a solid state amp, it sounds better than your average 65 watt box. I've had it for 5 years and its never done me wrong. i find the KGA series Much gainier and perhaps more suited for metal than the quad, and the tone is palatable
    fukkindoyle
    man this amp is so ****ing good. whoever said this was a 40 pound amp is mistaken though. this thing wieghs at LEAST double that. it really is a ****in tank. and it's amazing too
    angusyoung_sg
    no kidding man i bought this amp a while back and it is a fricken tank. i never move it from my room (unless i go to a gig) because it takes too much effort to lift. i love this amp because it has a wicked clean chanel and i use a multi effects pedal so it works just dandy. and all agreed ITS LOUD!
    the_addict
    I've owned this amp new for 3 years now and I've only had it all the up twice since I've owned it. Its definitely loud! I can play with my band just fine. They keep telling me to turn it down, lol.
    Billygo1
    [quote][After a year and a half and about 45 hours running time I blew the transformer in my Kustom Quad100 DFX Where do I get replacement parts? The 800 999 5558 number?I am in Brighton Ontario Canada.Is there a place here in Canada I can send for the part?Any help would be appreciated.Thank you. Billygo1
    Beynon5
    I own this amp its great, i have 2...one on top of the other so u get a 4X12 200W cos i run the xlr line out into the other line in on the top amp i cuold probebly gig with just one but u can never have to much. If it was stolen i wouldnt hesitate in buying another one..i'd be straight onto kustom to order another, and yes its a tank..i once knocked the top one off the bottom one and got it back on and worked 100% fine and no marks I would do a review but im too busy playing this thing...its so good
    Asaii
    I bought mine today, and whilst I do have to play It at bedroom level when people are here, It still sounds amazing. I cant wait to crank this thing