Quad 100 DFX review by Kustom

Kustom: Quad 100 DFX

Price paid: C$ 800

I am using a Cort Viva Gold series with dual Humbuckers and Floyd Rose floating bridge. Dirty Channel on this amp kind of sucks, I play mostly metal and the dirty channel is simply not enough crunch for me (Has sort of a hollow sound with no bottom end). I plug a Metal Zone MT-2 into it and use the clean channel and it sounds absolutely superb, very full and rich sounding distortion. The clean channel on this amp without effects is also probably the best clean channel I've heard on any amp. As such, I have no use for the dirty channel it simply does not have enough gain for my play style. My rating on this is strictly for the clean channel and the clean channel with a distortion pedal. The dirty channel is useless for me so I don't use it.

This my favorite amp out of all the amps I've owned in the past. If it was lost or stolen I would definitely seek out another one as it is extremely cheap now and definitely worth the price. I have been playing Guitar since 1997. I love the full rich sound of the clean channel. Makes my MT-2 sound awesome with the right settings. The footswitch could be a bit better, it would be nice to see the ability to save presets in it so you aren't limited to only having one effect configured at any given time.

I've owned this amp since it was Brand New (about 7 years now) and it has never let me down. Very reliable rock solid amp, this is a great choice for anyone looking to get a quality amp on a budget. I am however having an issue with it right now that just popped up a few days ago, it seems sometimes when I turn it on, it's stuck on the dirty channel, switching to the other channel has no effect (other then the LED's change). My solution is to repeatedly switch channels back and forth until it finally "catches" and does what it's supposed to. This is definitely not a problem with the switches on the amp, it seems like an internal electronics problem. Has anyone else had this problem before? If so, any ideas?

This is a solidstate amp, 100 watts powering 2 12 inch celestion speakers rated at 65 watts. I have owned this amp since it was Brand New in 2002/03, (hence the price I paid for it). Solid and robust construction, very heavy (A good thing when it comes to electronics). This amp has plenty of power and can be used Live at medium sized gigs without the use of a monitor. Comes with a footswitch for switching between the lead (dirty) and rythm (clean) channels, as well activate any selected effect.

SanJose
    This is NOT a metal-amp. I've owned it since 2006, I was happy with it until last year when my taste in tones began to be more.. picky. I think a tube amp will satisfy me, this amp doesn't do it anymore.